•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lunacy? Plunk in a Diesel?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Lunacy? Plunk in a Diesel?

Like I said, sell the Aveo, buy some used VW. Do you have another daily driver that's super fuel efficient that you can drive while the Aveo is under, assuming you can find all the innards to a complete redux?
      If you do the swap and get it to work with 100% driveability and reliability, I'll give you $1.
      Or you can buy a motorcycle or a Smart car.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

I have a Honda Shadow and I can baby it to return 60 mpg. The only problem is that we had snow on the ground three days ago. The riding season is not exactly year round in this neck of the woods. As for the Smart Car, there are some photos doing the internet rounds of a Smart that had a headon with a truck, and the paramedics are dragging the severed bottom half of the driver along the road. I know that can happen with anything, especially a motorcycle, but it's enough to get you really thinking... My local mechanic once did an engine swap for my gf in 48 hours in an old Colt, so I'm sure I can manage while the Aveo's down, even if it takes a couple of weeks.

I'm not 100% convinced that this is the way to go, but the Aveo has fairly low mileage (it's my gf's car) and it would be a shame to dump it just to buy an old VW.

Thanks

plain engine to engine swap is one thing. gas to diesel, when there's nothing out there that will hook up to the tranny and electronics, is a whole other story. Fabrication of the engine mounts alone will take at least 48 hrs. So good luck with that. I have a dollar bill waiting...
      + don't think the Aveo or any small car for that matter would fare much better than a smart car in bad collisions.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

yeah, VWs use an entirely different mounting scheme...

We probably won't be seeing a rabbit diesel until the mk6 generation. Though you can currently get the 2.0 TDI in the jetta... if you can stand the way the mk5s look.

Mileage is something along the lines of 34mpg city, 50mpg highway, and 43 mpg combined. Acceleration is similar to the aveo (a tad bit faster. 0-60 in 9.5seconds I think?). Though increasing output on the new TDI motors is as simple as an ECU reflash and you're burning out clutches.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anton100
      There is no way I can keep filling up the Aveo at almost $60 a clip... and going up up up up up...
      am i reading this right??? last time i filled it only cost me 33$ and some change... we were talkin about this at the meet yesterday, and dan and i both came to the same conclusion-if you plan on keepin the car for a really long time (a REALLY long time), then it would be worth it, but if you did it now, you wouldnt see any savings in the near future. further more, there is alot more to swapping in a diesel than just puttin in a different motor.

gm is talking about making a diesel aveo, i put the article on here somewhere, if you do a search for it, im sure you will find it with relative ease. or do a google search.

peace.

You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

The specs state that the Aveo fuel tank is 11.9 gal. That works out to about 45 litres. 45 litres x $1.29 = $58. I don't know where you're getting your fuel at almost half the price I'm buying it, but wherever it is, I wanna move there!

I've done a google and found talk of a Diesel Aveo all the way back to 2004. There seems to be a Diesel Aveo UVA in India though... but the Chevy India site shows three models but they all seem to be gasoline powered. If there was a Diesel fitted into an Aveo, I'd definitely be willing to look at importing an engine from India!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anton100
      The specs state that the Aveo fuel tank is 11.9 gal. That works out to about 45 litres. 45 litres x $1.29 = $58. I don't know where you're getting your fuel at almost half the price I'm buying it, but wherever it is, I wanna move there!
      omg thats not right. what country are you from? sheesh...
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

Canadian prices... yup, that's why in the gas prices thread I said you americans shouldn't complain about your prices until you're paying $4.50 a gallon. It's hoving above 1.30 in Montreal right now... boo

Thanks

...and oil just hit $120 so another fuel price hike is likely just days away. What the heck! Is this going to go on forever until you have to be a millionaire to run a car?

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

the price per barrel of oil is just way out of control. the government needs to step in and do something about it. also they need to stop trading it on the commodities exchange as if were gold, not to mention the speculators driving the prices up. sounds like its time for another tea party!!

Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast