•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lunacy? Plunk in a Diesel?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Lunacy? Plunk in a Diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by anton100
      ...and oil just hit $120 so another fuel price hike is likely just days away. What the heck! Is this going to go on forever until you have to be a millionaire to run a car?
      Prices for barrels of crude affect gas prices 2 to 3 months away from now. So expect higher prices in July - August. The reason prices are so high now is that the price for crude went up to 110$ a barrel in Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo
      the price per barrel of oil is just way out of control. the government needs to step in and do something about it. also they need to stop trading it on the commodities exchange as if were gold, not to mention the speculators driving the prices up. sounds like its time for another tea party!!
      There is not enough oil produced in the world to fill demand. The result is always higher prices. Simple example of this is when the Wii came out. There wasn't enough in the stores, they were going for thousands of dollars on eBay.

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

you're probably right about that, but also my wife is a vp for a brokerage firm in new york city and she says it also has alot to do with the traded price per barrel.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

you cant just blame the govt. its also the oil companies.

you see, car manufacturers come up with great fuel saving cars, some that can get over 70-80 mpg avg. but oil companies buy out these plans from the auto manufacturers thus keeping us with cars that are not as fuel efficient. then we need more gas. i mean come on, its 2008, the best we can do for non hybrid motors is 35 mpg avg-when driven slower than pouring molasses in january? for real, its all about money. they are finding more and more oil in the earth, alot of it in the oceans, which is harder to extract thus raising the price a bit, but its gotten out of control. thats why u hear about oil companies comin out every quarter with record breaking profits and so forth, yet the rest of the people in the world are getting poorer (except fot that top 2%). thats my perspective. it may be right, it may be wrong. but its all opinion. u wanna talk to me about it pm me.

peace.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

There's a lot of blame to go around. I just put in gas at $1.33.9/litre, $5.07/US gallon and a big chunk of that was TAX! Now that families are going to have to start choosing between eating and driving, doesn't it make sense to at least take the HUGE chunk of tax out of the price of fuel????

Thanks

Mike, I'm sure there definitely is many reasons for the way we get ripped for the cost of fuel. I hear everyones ideas on it and it all makes a lot of sense to me. Either way, its just not fair that the oil companies rake in these monstrous profits and we get charged to death! They all suck!!
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Have you considered a honda insight? There are people getting 100mpg out of them without insane hypermilling techniques.

Someone should make a lower belly tray for the Aveo, that might be worth a few MPG and even some increased 40+mph stability.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subachad
      Have you considered a honda insight? There are people getting 100mpg out of them without insane hypermilling techniques.

Someone should make a lower belly tray for the Aveo, that might be worth a few MPG and even some increased 40+mph stability.

ive thought about it actually, was considering trying it when i start makin my own lip kit.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

I'm just amazed at how knowledgeable all of you are, and very impressed at all the different ideas and thoughts that all of you have regarding the modifications made to your cars. It really brings me back to wrenching on a big block V-8, and yet all of you are getting the hp out of these motors. i guess power to weight ratio always applies!!
      Good for you!!
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo
      Mike, I'm sure there definitely is many reasons for the way we get ripped for the cost of fuel. I hear everyones ideas on it and it all makes a lot of sense to me. Either way, its just not fair that the oil companies rake in these monstrous profits and we get charged to death! They all suck!!
      It all comes back to Offer and Demand. China needs a **** load of crude nowadays, where a few years ago, it didn't need it. Same with India and all those countries we are buying goods from.

The oil companies don't produce more oil every year. They just let the oil prices go up. For them, extracting the oil doesn't cost any more than it used to (except for inflation). So higher crude prices mean straight profit in their pockets.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

here is what it comes down to....think of how many people live in china, now imagine them all driving cars. that is what is happening with the demand of most things including gas, concrete, and steel thus raising the price (not a fan of china, they really need to control their population). another thing they know is, we need it so they can charge what ever plus the government is owned by big businesses, they don't raise millions of dollars by selling lemonaide. also oil is a traded commodity so the crappy state of the american dollar doesn't help. id just like to thank our government and the fat CEO's of corporations that have screwed the rest of us with the economy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast