•  

Thread: Just filled up the Aveo

Thanks

Just filled up the Aveo

Just got through the first tank on the Aveo. The result wasn't too bad.

This was all commuting back and forth to work. The speed limit is 55 and I did the speed limit. I time lights so I don't have to stop at them too often. I also coast in neutral down hills that I can maintain or gain speed going down. I accelerate hard, but shift to keep rpms low. However, the car did see redline (and fuel cut) a few times during the tank. Despite popular belief you can have fun and get good mileage.

This morning I tried a few more tricks on the way in to work just to see what I could get. My scangauge showed that I got 52.5 mpg on the way in. Not too shabby.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Just filled up the Aveo

Quote Originally Posted by Daox
      Just got through the first tank on the Aveo. The result wasn't too bad.

This was all commuting back and forth to work. The speed limit is 55 and I did the speed limit. I time lights so I don't have to stop at them too often. I also coast in neutral down hills that I can maintain or gain speed going down. I accelerate hard, but shift to keep rpms low. However, the car did see redline (and fuel cut) a few times during the tank. Despite popular belief you can have fun and get good mileage.

This morning I tried a few more tricks on the way in to work just to see what I could get. My scangauge showed that I got 52.5 mpg on the way in. Not too shabby.
      That's pretty good. I need to practice some of those hypermiling tricks.... and get a scangauge. How do you like the Aveo so far?
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

Its a car and it does its job well, but I'm honestly not real fond of it. My main complaint is the handling and feel of the car; the sloppy shifter, the soft suspension, the super light power steering, and the light brake & gas pedal feel. It all makes you feel very disconnected from the car and road. I like to feel connected. I like a hard brake pedal and heavier steering wheel that lets you feel the road more. I know in 06 and later years they kept revising the suspension and I'm sure this all got better to some degree. It would be interesting to drive one of the newer cars to see how it feels.

That all being said I still do have to fix the suspension in front, take a look at the shifter bushings, and fix the ignition misfire code I keep getting. I do think that that will improve things, but probably not to the point which I like (and which is admittedly is not where most stock vehicles are). I would also like to see what a set of Eibach or H&R lowering springs does for the car. I think that would make a world of difference.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

I'll whip you up a short shifter really cheap to fix that slop. I can give you some bushings that are attached to it as well.

Lowering springs (or coilovers) make a world of difference. The dbw and hydraulic clutch pedals are hard to get used to but are common enough now I pretend not to notice. Better than stock tires do a lot for the feeling of the road but not those crappy Eco lrr ones. Haha

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

not sure if the aveo uses dfco, but in my yaris if im off the gas, in gear, and above 1100rpm, it doesnt inject any gas into the cylinders....and thus uses less gas than puting the car in neutral and coasting.

not bad #'s for an aveo, but i can drive just about however i want in my yaris with intake, header, and exhaust and still get 32mpg all-city...

we seem to consistently get about 25mpg in-city in our un-modded auto aveo w/ 175 wide winter tires on it...

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Damn good numbers. I haven't been able to breach the 50mpg mark yet, my best is 42mpg on the highway, and my best whole-tank average is 37mpg so far. I live downtown though so a certain amount of uphill city driving is inevitable. I still feel pretty good about my numbers though, as they have increased significantly since I first got the car.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Great to see you got in the 40's for the tank and 50's for a trip. I want to get a scan guage bad ! I would love to see individual trips ! that tool is huge in getting better at the "Game" we call hypermiling. Keep posting your numbers!
      '06 Aveo man trans sedan
      Keep a light foot.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

not bad at all

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

In all honesty, my Aveo gets about the same gas mileage as my Intrigue. My Intrigue used to get about 33 mpg on the highway, and my Aveo gets about 30 or more. All I know is that $20 to fill the Aveo is definitely easier on my strained finances than putting $40 into the Intrigue. Plus, I get better gas mileage when going downhill, because I don't even remotely have to use the accelerator when going down a hill...the Aveo just GOES and I have to always be sure I'm not going to rear end anyone!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

My HHR with a 2.4L engine is only a few MPG behind my Aveo... it gets 29-32 on highway and around 20 in town if I drive it nice...

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD