•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: downshift vs neutral

JPD
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I have a manual 1.4, the latest research I read was that accelerating briskly to 2,000RPM got the best economy but I can't remember where I read this. As for downshift vs neutral, you should always stay in gear to drive in coastdown where the ECU cuts fuel but I've recently been experimenting with downshifting when coming to a stop or turn. The Scanguage e I'm using does show how the engine is in coastdown throughout downshifting so no fuel is being used and I guess it's saving the brake pads.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mike1994 View Post
      what would give better gas mileage between downshifting or putting it into neutral?
      Depends on the situation -- there's no simple answer. Are you *trying* to slow down? Then engine braking is probably better, since in gear, deceleration fuel cut-off uses no fuel (when above approx. 1500 RPM). If you're trying to get the maximum distance in a "coast", then neutral obviously slows you down less and you'll go farther.

what would you recommend as a top speed.
      See: Graph of MPG/fuel economy vs. speed, 2004 Aveo sedan (automatic)

Same idea for manual transmission: your best mileage will be at the lowest speed you can cruise in top gear. It only goes down from there. As a rough rule of thumb, expect to spend about 1% more on gas for each 1 km/h you go over 100 km/h.

also what would be the lowest rpm i should shift? i use to shift at 3000, now around 2000 is this good or bad? manual 2010 aveo5.
      2000 is better than 3k. Lower than that is also fine as long as you don't lug (shudder) the engine when accelerating/climbing a hill. For best cruising mileage, get into the highest gear you can use as soon as you can. It's even OK to shift to 5th if you're cruising at low load and low speed (eg. 60 km/h). But of course you will have to downshift if you need power.

I'll keep it and add a turbo mralx152's Avatar
      Thanks
      DOWNSHIFTING is best because you stay off your breaks. i always down shift when hitting a turn or comeing to a stop. i shift at 4k rpm because i like the sound of my car around thos rpms. yeah i may use a lil more gas but i really dont care lol. plus it makes my car so much more faster when i shift higher. 1st gear sucks i shift at like 3k rpm 2-4 are my speed gears where i can feel the engine do its job to get me up to speed on ramps to interstates or when my buddy pulls beside me and wants to race to the next light lol. my best 0-60 time so far with no weight reduction is about 8.5 seconds i believe the 0-60 of a stock aveo is like 11. but again im not worried about mpg because regardless my car eats gas and oil. plus my company pays my gas and oil so its free for me except weekends.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      No way you are hitting 60 in 8.5... I have tons of mods and best I can pull is a 10.0 dead. Full 2" piping, no cat, proper CAI, coilovers (help with launch, less squat) and amazing summer tires

Thanks
      well... are you going at a incline?
      mine was slightly i would say down hill but where i live in ga there is no flat roads lol.

i will make a video next time and post. maybe my buddy hit stop to quick sence he was in the car beside me idk... cant drive and hit stop at same time...

Thanks
      Stopwatch+speedo are unreliable. Mine was on a drag strip...
      My scan gauge has a 0-60 feature as well. Best I've gotten that at is 9.6sec. But as i said stock speedo can be unreliable

Thanks
      Ohhh I c my mistake. My bad. Disregard my 0-60 time im a lil drunk lol. I will search for a flat rd and re state my 0-60.

Thanks
      I use a app on my phone that uses gps to track my speed. There roughly the same but I do hit 99 slightly faster on gps than spedo after 99 it doensnt read lol

Thanks
      How much did it cost to run on a drag strip? Atlanta moter speed way is like a hr from my house...

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mralx152 View Post
      How much did it cost to run on a drag strip? Atlanta moter speed way is like a hr from my house...
      Wednesday night is amateur night at local strip 45 min away. Free to get in, 5 bucks each pass. Lots of fun!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast