•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: downshift vs neutral

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

downshift vs neutral

what would give better gas mileage between downshifting or putting it into neutral? also any tips on getting better gas mileage? what would you recommend as a top speed. also what would be the lowest rpm i should shift? i use to shift at 3000, now around 2000 is this good or bad? manual 2010 aveo5.

thanks

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mike1994 View Post
      what would give better gas mileage between downshifting or putting it into neutral
      Not sure it matters in terms of MPG, but down shifting is good for slowing down where as neutral is not.

what would you recommend as a top speed.
      I'm pretty sure the Aveo user's manual states that 55mph is ideal for best MPG, at least for my 2007. Not sure what other model year manuals state.

also what would be the lowest rpm i should shift? i use to shift at 3000, now around 2000 is this good or bad
      My best MPG has resulted in shifts at 1.75k - 2k rpm, but due to comfort I usually shift between 2.25k -2.75k rpm.
      Last edited by Lirueil; 02-14-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      i was driving eco this week annd i can only pull 33 mpg, what could i do to improve this? the chevy sonic does 40 mpg im on a 5 year lease on my 2end year? thanks

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      that sounds pretty normal. Keepit in the 2000 2500 range and thats the best your going to get.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I have never downshifted. When you're slowing down or coming to a stop, there is no sense in continuing to have your RPM's up which is an accurate indicator of how much gas you are using. The more you can have your car going at the necessary speed with the lowest RPM's possible, the better fuel economy you will get. (Within reason, don't strain your transmission trying to drive 10 MPH in 4th gear for low RPM's.) If I am going down a hill, coming to a stop sign/stoplight, or am coming to a speed limit reduction, I put the car in neutral and let it coast.

With only regular oil changes and an occasional bottle of fuel injector cleaner I have been receiving an average of 31-33 MPG which is a mix of town and highway driving. (average suburban driving).

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gorilla p View Post
      I have never downshifted. When you're slowing down or coming to a stop, there is no sense in continuing to have your RPM's up which is an accurate indicator of how much gas you are using. The more you can have your car going at the necessary speed with the lowest RPM's possible, the better fuel economy you will get.
      Ummm....no. Engine braking doesnt use gas. Next, are you gonna tell me the brake pedal uses gas? and rpms arent any sort of an indicator of gas being used. High rpms can use less gas than upshifting too, especially while accelerating on a hill.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Perhaps it wasn't clear at which point you were downshifting, and as far as the other comments, very trollish of you. I have yet to see that on these forums to that degree. You should be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      Ummm....no. Engine braking doesnt use gas. Next, are you gonna tell me the brake pedal uses gas? and rpms arent any sort of an indicator of gas being used. High rpms can use less gas than upshifting too, especially while accelerating on a hill.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Didnt mean to sound like a troll in that first part, I can see how you read it like that. I was tired and I needed a snickers . No need to get so worked up over some idiots opinion on the internet. And when talking downshift vs neutral, I assumed slowing. You can't accelerate in neutral so that brought me that conclusion.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      i drive in the mountains all the time and when you leave it in gear coming down the other side of the hill or down shift the aveo cuts the fuel to the injectors so you are getting free mpg essentially, and yes under certain conditions downshifting to 4th or even third you can get better fuel economy in the hills, as a result i achieve a consistant 31 mpg in the Rockies and i dont drive nice either, im usually doing 125 kmh or more. you reallly lose mpg at those speeds.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      +1 on downshift to slow down! neutral when stopped to save throwout/pilot bearing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast