•  

Thread: downshift vs neutral

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gorilla p View Post
      I have never downshifted. When you're slowing down or coming to a stop, there is no sense in continuing to have your RPM's up which is an accurate indicator of how much gas you are using. The more you can have your car going at the necessary speed with the lowest RPM's possible, the better fuel economy you will get.
      Ummm....no. Engine braking doesnt use gas. Next, are you gonna tell me the brake pedal uses gas? and rpms arent any sort of an indicator of gas being used. High rpms can use less gas than upshifting too, especially while accelerating on a hill.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Perhaps it wasn't clear at which point you were downshifting, and as far as the other comments, very trollish of you. I have yet to see that on these forums to that degree. You should be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      Ummm....no. Engine braking doesnt use gas. Next, are you gonna tell me the brake pedal uses gas? and rpms arent any sort of an indicator of gas being used. High rpms can use less gas than upshifting too, especially while accelerating on a hill.