•  

Thread: New aveo owner/driver!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

New aveo owner/driver!

Hey, everyone. I recently picked up a '04 Aveo with a timing belt failure. Got it for $600, 240k miles, hardly any damage, great shape, aftermarket wheels, radio, and various other features.

It's a nice little car! And i'm pretty excited and pumped to have such a nice looking car for my first.

I'm replacing the idler, and tension-er with steel parts, and planned to do the water pump, but that one was already done.

I've removed the head off today, revealing 10/16 valves ruptured (9 opened, one snapped) and no piston ridge, which is pretty nice for 240k. Clean inside and out for the most part.

If you guys would share any tips, that'd be grand. Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post another thread when she's up and running in a week or two! Name:  1920163_3916368643817_359064022_n.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  88.8 KB

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      For someone who has never owned a vehicle, you have quite a bit of know how

Regarding the WP, are you saying that a new one was installed after the belt broke? If not, and you're not certain when it was replaced last, I recommend you buy a new one. You can read about the recent adventure of member djmarch, when he tried to do the job using the old WP, starting at post #146 in this thread:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/t...4/index15.html

One of our admins, Daox has a nice DIY on the valve job in this thread:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f103/...epaired-10191/

Nice project you have there - good luck with it!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      For someone who has never owned a vehicle, you have quite a bit of know how

Regarding the WP, are you saying that a new one was installed after the belt broke? If not, and you're not certain when it was replaced last, I recommend you buy a new one. You can read about the recent adventure of member djmarch, when he tried to do the job using the old WP, starting at post #146 in this thread:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/t...4/index15.html

One of our admins, Daox has a nice DIY on the valve job in this thread:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f103/...epaired-10191/

Nice project you have there - good luck with it!
      Yeah, I grew up in Chillicothe Ohio, with 15 cars to work on in our yard with my dad. I've got a little bit of experience, but I have large room to grow.

the wp was replaced before the belt broke, and I'm replacing it along with the others as well, the "pack" has all three of th idler, tensioner and wp, for another $10, so I didn't see the problem, since I'm doing almost a full takedown, to spend another hour on it.

I read the second on, but not the first, and it has quite a few things that would've definitely helped me out, had I checked out the forums beforehand.

I definitely have my work cut out for me, but it should be up an running within the next few weeks, and I'll be sure to post everything!