•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intro of JDM_GUY and 05 Aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Geez, it's been a while since I have not posted my progress of my aveo, time to catch up.

On the 3rd week I've owned my 05 HB aveo. I decided to tackle the CEL, so I invested my money on buying my own OBDII scanner. Having one of the scanner is a win win situation for the money because it'll pay for it self since it's universal use to any other car besides those WV/Audi that uses VAG-com, Or probably all European cars.

Once I received my brand new scanner, I scanned what was the CEL for and the reading came back with 2 code. For those who don't know where's the scanner plug is located, it is on the driver side under the dash, just above the brake pedal closer to where the drivers knee would be.

1) P0128 - Coolant thermostat : coolant temp below thermostat reg temp.
      2) P0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit bank 1.

At my first initial MPG I was getting was 250-275 miles on a 10 gallon tank since I've owned my aveo from day one with the CEL. That's about 85-90% freeway at 55mph usually.

Since I work on a Auto repair shop, I had ordered a whole load of minor maintenance parts to see if I can improve the MPG of my aveo.

I have changed the spark plugs [NGK iridium-ix] , spark plug wires, 2 of O2 sensors (bank1 and bank2), and the coolant temp sensor along with coolant change.

The coolant temp sensor was the challenge for me to find. I have located the CTS on the other side of the engine block, closer to the firewall right under the throttle body. To get full access to the CTS is actually having to lift the car and R&R from underneath.

Since I have done those minor maintenance, I have noticed a huge difference of MPG gain. I immediately went for a Bay Area tour and have gone 380 mile in a 10 gallon tank with all freeway driving on 55mph speed. On the work week, I had managed to get up to 340-350 miles on a 10 gallon tank with 90% freeway and 10% street use.

Last edited by JDM_GUY; 09-24-2014 at 07:01 AM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Cool stuff, nice improvement!

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      Awesome! I still get about 37-38 on the highway, and about 28 ish in town. I have no clue about how it manages it, but I'll take it. I swear there's an alien hamster in there that helps the engine out. I have yet to find it though. -_-

-Andrew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12