•  

Thread: Hello from Melbourne, Australia

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Hi there,

My name is Kev and I recently purchased a 2008 Auto TK Holden Barina for my daughter as her first car.

I've come to the forum to share my experiences and to gain knowledge on common issues these cars have. I like the look of the Barina/Aveo/Kalos (same car I believe) and it seems easy to work on. With only 60,000 K's on the clock (about 25,000 miles) its still smells new.

I've just started going over the car and I believe I've found two of the most common faults these cars have.
      1. Valve cover gasket leaking (an understatement) it's the first time I've ever seen an engine where the spark plugs had an inch of oil around them. I expect there is a proper fix for this so will search this forum. I went to Holden/GM to price the gasket and they wanted $75 AUD for it. I burst out laughing and walked away without buying it so if anyone can suggest a good source of parts for reasonable prices I'd be keen to hear about it.

2. Central locking fuse keeps blowing every few days. I suspect the issue to be a short in the system cuased by condensation or water as it's intermitent. I suspect wiring in the door but before I start to pull things apart maybe someone here has had similar issues?

I look forward to contributing to the forum.

Regards

Kev

Thanks
      Welcome to the site Kev!

The valve cover gasket is common, and an easy fix. People have had mixed results with cheapo gaskets. I think one from a local parts store will probably do you fine. Maybe dab some RTV sealant on the gasket around the spark plug holes to see if that holds things longer.

I haven't heard of complaints about the central locking. Like you said, it sounds like a short somewhere.

Thanks
      Hi Daox,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Once I trace the issue I'll post under technical so others can read if the problem occurs again.

Do you know anyone with a service manual for the 08 model Eco II Barina / Aveo? all I can find is one in Russian.

Regards

Aussie280

Thanks
      leaking Barina ?????? I've done 111'000 Km in mine (bought it new) and the only problem I have had is nil!!!!!!
      I must have a rare one OR I have just jinxed myself :S