•  

Thread: Farthest North Aveo?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Farthest North Aveo?

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2005 Aveo hatch this weekend. I live north of Fairbanks, Alaska, hence the "Farthest North Aveo?" title. I know someone else on here is in/around Fairbanks, and actually I know there's an Aveo that commutes from 4 miles farther North than myself...
      My first fillup netted 39mpg, about 95% hwy. We'll see how the mileage plays out with a few more miles and fillups.
      The car is a silver hatchback LS, with 5spd manual trans, and a reconstructed title.
      It needs a little work but I've got a good start on it:
      The front struts were bad. I ordered a full set of KYB's, front and rear. Minor things like the door lock on the driver's side was broken (I fixed that the first day), the antenna is missing, and the wiper fluid reservoir/pump is missing. The tires on it (Blizzaks) are bald (too bad 'cause I could use Blizzaks next winter), so I ordered a set of 15" rims and tires at TireRack.com. After reading a bit this weekend I ordered a timing belt/water pump kit, as the car has 58,000 miles.

The last car I had was a '99 Civic Si. I enjoyed it but my lifestyle required a truck and I didn't have the means to support two vehicles then, so since then I've had pickups. The Aveo is kinda fun, like a go-cart. I wish there was more power but at least I don't have the urge to speed too much this way. My truck now is a 2009 Silverado with the 367hp 6.0L. It's pretty fast compared, but the Aveo is getting well over twice the mpg (I track them on Fuelly.com).

So- I'll be hanging out here. I don't usually post much on forums, but I will read pretty much everything.

I do have a question for you guys though- One of the door speakers is blown. What cost-effective replacements have you used? I'd like a better sound but want to keep cost reasonable, as the primary purpose of getting this car is to get decent mileage.

All my cars are on Fuelly.com too:
      Dans09Max's profile | Fuelly

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Welcome to the forums! love your screen name! thats my favorite type of sled!

Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?