•  

Thread: 2005 aveo info needed

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2005 aveo info needed

Hello all, I'm looking at buying a 2005 aveo with almost 120k the timing belt was changed at 80k miles...it's all in good working order. Nice looking little car. I'm looking for a work car/everyday get around. He wants 3000 firm and it's a 5 speed. Any info, tips/ concerns I should look for? Thanks

Thanks
      Sounds like a fair price IMO. I'd listen for any clunks when going over bumps. The control arm mounts go out. Its not a hard or expensive thing to fix, just something to look for. Other than that, the plastic thermostat housing. When you pop the hood, it will be on the lower left side of the head. They later switched to an aluminum one that won't fail, but the older plastic ones have.

Here is a good thread to look at:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f81/c...-issues-15573/

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thanks for the reply I think I will pick it up if I like it after the test drive...I hope it's a good car

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Guess I would have to disagree with Daox (which doesn't happen much) on this one. Although I've had very good luck with both of the Aveos in our family ('05, and '06), I'm a DIYer, and stay on top of the maintenance. I'd have lots of reservations about buying a used one with an unknown history. The timing belt and plastic t-stat issues make buying a used older Aveo more of a crapshoot than for many other vehicles.

That being said, let's assume this one has had none of the bigger problems, and is actually in good shape. When I read this at first, the price sounded high to me. When I bought my '05 new, it was under 9K. However it's a 5 speed with NOTHING extra, so if the one you're looking at has A/C and power windows, that would have been around 10K new. When I check an '05 with A/C on one of the used car sites, it comes back with 2.5K in excellent condition, and 2.2K for very good. Now AFA additional expense goes, even if tires, brakes, etc. are all fairly new, you're looking at another timing belt in around 20K miles if you want to follow the 60K recommened interval. Rust is often a major issue with many 8 year olds, and these Aveos are likely worse, because of the non-stainless exharst system.
      Bottom line, I wouldn't give more than 2.2K for this one, even if everything is in really good shape. But regardless of what you wind up paying, I hope this works out well for you!

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Best of luck with your purchase. My wife and I both had Aveos for a long time and really loved them! No major issues at all!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Pricing on the Aveos must be different in the Northeast avguy. $3000 for 125k would be a pretty good deal in my area, Kansas City MO. I've been paying $3500 to $4500 for 04 to 06 models with 50 to 130k on them. My dad just wrecked his, and it will probably get rebuilt, but I've been searching just in case. Right now everything is being listed between $3000 and $5000 and only one isn't a mess. Or course having bought 4 Aveos recently, I may have screwed up the local market.

Look up its used car private sale value on KBB, subtract any thing is needs like tires, timing belt, thermostat, shocks, or struts. If you pay below that you got a pretty good deal.