•  
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GROUP BUY: Ecotec 1.6L lightweight underdrive crankshaft pulley (2009-2011 Aveo)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AUSCE View Post
      I want mi xmas present!!! hoho..., the pulley is balanced?
      I would like to know as well, I know that throughout the 60 degree V6 community these started to become frowned on because it threw the engine balancing out the window and caused premature engine failure (mind you no one had concrete proof). Regardless they seemed to have fallen out of favour. Do these account for that?

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

Thanks
      Isn´t the first time I instaleda lightweight pulley, in my past car Nissan Tsuru 2001 1.6L have an Unorthodox Racing pulley, and dont have any problem, but the pulley came previously balanced, and this is necesary to prevent future damage, I read this in a nissanforum....

I show some pics...

Stock pulley...
      I think the holes are made for balancing the OEM pulley

UR Pulley...

Last edited by AUSCE; 11-02-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Thanks
      The pulley is balanced by the way its manufactured.

Thanks
      Sorry I misrepresented what I meant. Does our current factory pulley act as a harmonic balancer? That was what the light weight pulleys for the 60 degrees didn't take into account and you lost that harmonic balancing. Does anyone know in regards to these engines whether we have an external balancer?

Harmonic balancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
      Sorry I misrepresented what I meant. Does our current factory pulley act as a harmonic balancer? That was what the light weight pulleys for the 60 degrees didn't take into account and you lost that harmonic balancing. Does anyone know in regards to these engines whether we have an external balancer?

Harmonic balancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      You can balancing all the pieces, if you pretends exceed or go to the top of te engine OEM limits, breacking the OEM rev limiter, in 4 L engines, it balancing independient, chec the piece oem...

I have thís pulley and alluminium flywheel, clutch stage 2, without any problem two year and arround 25,000 milles...

The crank oil seals gone in a excelent condition, mabe these pieces are the firs piece damaged, but is'nt happens...

Thanks
      This same question was asked a few times over in the 1st gen pulley thread. My reply was:

Yes, most, if not all OEM crankshaft pulleys have a dampener on them. Removing it does not unbalance the engine, it just reduces the amount of vibration dampening available for the crankshaft.

I've never seen an underdrive pulley with a dampener on it. I've also spoken with engine builders who have rebuilt engines after thousands of miles on them with an underdrive pulley and have seen no evidence of any damage done to the engine. I've personally used them on a couple of my cars without any problems.

If you are really worried about wear, do an oil analysis now to get a 'before' shot. Then, install the pulley and do one again when you change your oil next. Send it in for analysis and they can tell you if your crankshaft/journals/rods are wearing. If you do this and do find abnormal wear, you can stop using the pulley before any real damage is done.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      How much lighter are we talking? Projected ofcourse since they do not actually exist yet

Thanks
      It'll be comparable to the E-Tec II pulley:

Lightweight: Substantial weight reduction from the stock pulley which reduces rotational inertia - 5.5 lbs OEM vs. 1.2 lbs -

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f104/...-2008-a-11233/

Thanks
      It's a good choice, I´m searching a short shiffter too...

only two people , we need more...

Thanks
      @Doax

Those are good points, and yeah I heard it can cause stress on the crankshaft. However I've also heard that this concern stems mainly from higher performance engines where the stress levels are already thin in terms of how far you can go. Generally I find that GM over specifies their engines, like the 60 degree family being able to take up to around 8psi of boost on stock internals without much fuss. I am worried about the longevity of the car somewhat, but at the same time if it did cause damage to the engine I may not care and just do a swap to the 1.8 or 1.4 and see if I could get them to work. Regardless your oil idea is a good one and I'll need to give it some thought.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast