•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doxey+snow = craploads of fun!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      so youre saying the studded tires need to go on the back on a front wheel drive car? that doesnt make any sense to me considering the front need more traction than the rear to pull the car.
      dont ya think?

and i dont mind the sliding. she handles well and my hubby and i take it easy enough. we arent trying to go sliding into a wall or poll or another car. we have been past the reckless teenager phase for quite a while now.

Low n Slow

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by boxkiller
      so youre saying the studded tires need to go on the back on a front wheel drive car? that doesnt make any sense to me considering the front need more traction than the rear to pull the car.
      dont ya think?

and i dont mind the sliding. she handles well and my hubby and i take it easy enough. we arent trying to go sliding into a wall or poll or another car. we have been past the reckless teenager phase for quite a while now.
      It doesnt matter if you mean to slide or not and take it easy, it just takes one person to cut you off, you swerve to avoid it, your front wheels grip and steer, the car the back end will want to keep moving forward, and if they dont grip, you have no choice but to kiss you ass end bye bye.

Thanks
      yeah i understand all that- ive been driving long enough to know that no matter how careful you are on the road, anything can happen. especially in areas that have crude weather conditions.
      i was more stumped by the advice to put the studded tires on the rear (if i only get two), when my car is a front wheel drive........

I understand the rear tires will not have traction, but if i only get 2 studded tires, i would much rather have them on the front so my car can actually move, rather thatn on the back so i can give it some gas and just sit there with the rear tires staying put and the front just spinning.
      does anyone see what im saying?
      Low n Slow

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks
      omg, i love snow. we just got hit with 4 inches of fresh wet snow the other night so i took advantage of an almost completely open parkin lot. there were two cars in it and one of the drivers came out of the building, got in there car and started driving toward me while i was messin around. i thought i was in trouble until i saw the headlights swing sideways instantly and saw that wanted to play too!!!! it was fun!

too bad for them chains, and that decal looks sweet!
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks
      yeah i understand all that- ive been driving long enough to know that no matter how careful you are on the road, anything can happen. especially in areas that have crude weather conditions.
      i was more stumped by the advice to put the studded tires on the rear (if i only get two), when my car is a front wheel drive........

I understand the rear tires will not have traction, but if i only get 2 studded tires, i would much rather have them on the front so my car can actually move, rather thatn on the back so i can give it some gas and just sit there with the rear tires staying put and the front just spinning.
      It may make sense at first to have them on the front but in reality it doesnt work out to be an advantage. You end up getting a pendulum effect. where as the vehicle is moving forward then turning, the rear end wants to keep moving in a forward direction, despite the fact the front wheels are pulling to whichever side. This is why you need better traction with the rear wheels.

this video demonstrates in extreme conditions the effect of poor traction in the rear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikhL7O092ZA

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      LOL Mike...we got 8" last night and I was playing in the parking lot before work this morning..LOL nothing like blowing through deep powder and pulling the e-brake..LOL

that decal does look good...
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dmeech

It may make sense at first to have them on the front but in reality it doesnt work out to be an advantage. You end up getting a pendulum effect. where as the vehicle is moving forward then turning, the rear end wants to keep moving in a forward direction, despite the fact the front wheels are pulling to whichever side. This is why you need better traction with the rear wheels.

this video demonstrates in extreme conditions the effect of poor traction in the rear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikhL7O092ZA
      +1. I know it goes against your intuition, but physics say otherwise. Trust me though, get 4 tires. 2 is not worth it.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Here is a thread about studded tires that may help you too.

http://www.aveoclub.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ight=studs
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      hey man where did you get that sweet as Aveoclub.net decal?

nice sliding by the way, I do it almost everyday here in northern michigan
      2008 Black Aveo 1.6L

Drive A Manual, It's better For You =]

http://www.myspace.com/bradsaidso

Thanks
      I guess i'm just gonna have to come up with a damn good excuse to give my hubby in order to get 4 rims and studded tires then.

hmmmm.... not an easy one.

Low n Slow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast