•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rally X

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Back! Sorry I haven't posted, been busy since I got back and rather sick, think I inhaled too much dust at the event, need to remember a dust mask for next time!

The even went well. There was a new organizer this time, so there were so growing pains as he figured everything out.

The event started about an hour late and we only got a total of 10 runs. The morning went POORLY for me. The course was extremely tight, and there were more cones than an autoX course! Missed gates on 4 of the 5 morning runs, which meant 4 bogey times (slowest in group + 10 seconds), on top of the ridiculous amount of cones I obliterated , which basically killed any chance I had of being competitive.

Learned some valuable lessons from the morning session:
      1. I get there early, stop dicking around and walk the course
      2. Pay attention during the parade lap, put at least 100ft between me and the guy in front of me.
      3. Do go balls out on the first run, slow it down and pay attention.
      4. If you've already missed a gate, DON'T WORRY IF YOU'RE GOING TO MISS ANOTHER. If you haven't... HIT THE CONE.

The afternoon went much better. The organizer opened up the course and I was actually able to get up some speed, so that I could actually rotate the car. The course was a blast. Felt much faster, but I haven't seen the stage by stage times yet, just overall (of which I was last, if you don't count the cars that didn't finish... it's rally, and if you're counting cumulative time, THEY COUNT! ).

Still having issues with the car popping out of second gear, but that's just how it goes I guess. Really don't have the time to pull out the pitch mount and try to fill it or anything, so I'll just deal. I have a good idea of when it'll happen and have been able to quickly shove it back in.

Here's a side cam video from a Mk2 Golf GT in the afternoon:

Some Photos, still trying to get him to upload the full set, because the aveo gets no love in these!

10/18/10 Summit Point Rally X - a set on Flickr

Thanks
      Finally got the stage times. Was faster than an Outback sport in all but one of the afternoon runs . He has a completely wrong time in the morning (89s, vs the fastest guys running mid-high 120s). If that were corrected, it would've been within 5 seconds either way. Was also keeping up with a GTI and a WRX pretty well.

Thinking my issue is the way I attack corners, or rather the way I don't. I tend to come in hot, use some LFB to get the car to rotate, but I'm not accelerating through the corner, but after I clear it. I'm going to concentrate on my attack more this event. Set up for the corner way in advance, then power (or rather, claw) my way through it. I keep hearing the saying: In like a lamb, out like a lion... the aveo may be more like a tabby house cat, though... Will try smooth and then "balls out"... see which works out. With the lack of power, I'm thinking keeping as much momentum as possible will be the way to go. I know I can dive a lot deeper into the corner than I am... just need to get my brakes in order before I feel comfortable. Maybe next season!

In either case, next event is coming up!

When: Sunday Nov 4th
      Where: Summit Point Raceway, Summit Pt WV. Reg closes 8:30.

WDCR Home

I'll also be up at NJMP for the RallyCar rally cross event this weekend.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      I found the results: http://wdcr-scca.org/LinkClick.aspx?...id=93&mid=1177 I guess I am a little slow on this, is more points good? Or, bad?
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      That's from sept. Higher stage times = bad, otherwise I would've Won

Attached are Oct.'s results.
      Attached Files Attached Files
      Last edited by exodus0784; 11-04-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks
      The event this weekend went pretty well. I had a friend riding along with me, so the trip up wasn't as boring!

There were 46 entries, so we only got 7 runs, but overall the day went pretty smooth. Was pretty quick in the morning, but the water truck went through right before we ran in the afternoon and that made things pretty slippery.

Finished 31st overall out of 46 who entered, and 42 who finished. 2nd in class, out of two. I was 11 seconds behind the other person (mk2 GTi), after penalties, 5 seconds off in raw time. Not a bad day.

I lost probably 5-10 seconds plowing straight into a corner on some super slick mud and coming to a complete stop... and probably 5 seconds over the course of the day, thanks to the car popping out of second gear. I'm going to try to address that issue over the winter break.

The rear shoes are also completely shot, leaving me with a lack of pedal feel, and in result a lack of confidence in the brakes. I'll change the shoes and have the drums resurfaced. Was going 55-60mph on the back straight which ends in a sweeping left hander, I'm confident I could've braked much later, if I had any confidence in the brakes .

Have until March to get the car back into shape... not sure what I can do to get my rally fix until then!

Some photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aj711/5...7625407824170/

Videos:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...96mhDo&h=17774

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...N2W_V4&h=17774
      Last edited by exodus0784; 11-18-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks
      Ended up taking our '07 out this past weekend: Here's the aftermath. I'll try to get my onboard up later this week.

Had a terrible morning. It was a little sloppy (buttery is a better way to describe the surface when wet), and I haven't driven since April. Kept trying to drive it like a rear drive... feathering the throttle trying to turn... rather than just mashing the gas and clawing my way through... learned my lesson towards the end of the day, and ended up with some OK times. I really need to pick up a spare set of wheels and some snow or rally tires, though.

Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by exodus0784; 10-18-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123