•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rally X

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Rally X

Been a long time. I'm sure some of you remember me...

Just wanted to check back in and say that'll I'll be putting my 04 SVM into a Rally X this weekend. Don't think I'll be able to grab any pics but I'll let everyone know how it went.

Been getting back into the aveo as far as fun stuff goes, since I just bought an '03 Jetta GLI as a daily, so that leaves my '04 open for fun stuff... we'll see how this Rally X Goes and see what's next.

Exo

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Rally X

....you killed us man lol

good luck!

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

hello hope 2 seee pics~
      Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

Exodus! Welcome back!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

Well,

The Rally X got rained out. Drove 2 hours up to Summit Point and it was just mud. No way we could run, and it was supposed to keep raining the rest of the day.

I was able to make it up Saturday for the School/Test'n'Tune. That went pretty well, We had some small stations set up (slalom, loose corners, etc). Got about 10 runs in on the Rally X stage as well.

The Aveo handles surprisingly well mannered in the clay dirt up there, but absolutely no traction. Also had an issue where it would pop out of second gear in a particularly bumpy section, completely annoying. I need to figure out what's causing that, or just jam it into first through that section.

The surface is ... well it changes from foot to foot. In parts you have you're regular VA clay, next you have extremely hard packed clay (to the point where you can put rubber down and squeal the tires!). On the outsides of the corners it's almost like sand. Very hard to get any traction.

There wasn't anyone out taking pics yesterday, but there's another next month and we'll see how that goes.

Also did a ride along in an M4 STi... and went off...that was fun! Those things are insanely fast.

Edit: For anyone interested. I'm running the PF (Prepared Front Drive) class. SRI and Slotted rotors. Otherwise the car is stock. Running Dunlop SP60 185/65R14 tires.

The tires work really well in gravel, and OK in dirt (for an all-season tire). Only things I plan on changing are maybe trying to find some progressive rate bump stops, change out the shocks/struts for the KYB's, and maybe find some cheap 15" wheels to throw blizzaks or some used rally tires on.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

sounds like you had a good time, too bad the first event got rained out though

Thanks

STI is fast? Yes. Think how i feel going from a 2007 WRX with literally over 3 times the HP and over 4 times the TQ than I have right now in my Aveo!

ahahaha

I'll just say "planning" to pass someone isn't something I'm used to!!

Thanks

I know how you feel. I have another Aveo, and a '03 24v vr6 Jetta GLI. I get into the aveo and it's until I hit gravel.

The Rallycross has been rescheduled for this Sunday, though! If anyone is in the DC/VA/MD area, you should come check it out.

Track: http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/ SCCA Region: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i used to drive an r32 daily.. i like the aveo though, its like going back to a mk1 rabbit gti..

just as much fun to drive, but pushing your cars limits sort of keeps you within the limits of the law

Thanks

Rally X went well. No traction and no power to get through corners, but had a blast none the less. Attached are a 2 short videos that one of the course workers took.

Had the issue with second gear popping out through a particularly rough section again when they reversed the course... really need to figure out what's causing that. Also, with all the left foot braking, it felt like the booster would cut off about half-way through the run if I was hard on the throttle at the same time... really irritating, I would have to let off the throttle to get the pedal back, or just stand on the brake to get anything out of it.

Didn't catch the afternoon results, but I know I wasn't last, because one guy DNFed In the morning I was running consistently 10seconds behind the 4wd guys, with at least 75 more HP, and snow tires. First in class, though... because I was the only one running in my class!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast