•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Resonator Removal

Resonator Removal

genie47 writes:

For all u bros and sistas who want to have this done... It's a half hour job (if you have the right tools)...

It's easy. First jack ur car up... You have to remove the 4 nuts that hold the panel down in the driver-side front wheel well / bumper. Careful to keep the nuts, and the 2 silver retaining tabs at the bumper (otherwise you won't be able to reattach the 2 9mm nuts. The resonator under the panelling is held down by 3 nuts. Undo those, yank the whole box out and Viola!!! Yes.... you'll have to replace the panelling...

The resonator is basically a plastic U-bend tube that has a large plastic chamber at the bottom of the U-bend. According to something i read a long time ago, the resonator's chamber size is "scientifically calculated" according to the size of the engine, filter element, etc to resonate (or cancel) out most of the induction sounds. Another function of it to to trap leaves!!

... and one more tip... wear shorts and T-shirt, and prepare to sweat a bit!

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/resonator02.jpg
      Car jacked up...

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/resonator04.jpg
      One of the bolts you gotta remove.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/resonator06.jpg
      Another bolt right over there...

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/resonator09.jpg
      Panel exposed

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/resonator10.jpg
      Congrats it's a boy!!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      other than getting more noise what does this mod get you?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      humm, to what I can see, this would allow for AveoSam's CAI or your own. Could someone clarify?

Also, if you get a short ram for the aveo, then the resonator is simply dead weight.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      humm, to what I can see, this would allow for AveoSam's CAI or your own. Could someone clarify?

Also, if you get a short ram for the aveo, then the resonator is simply dead weight.
      You hit the nail 100% on the head. Those are the exact reasons

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      So...if i put the short ram intake in...how does that affect this mod?
      2006 Chevy Aveo LS Hatchback - getting sold soon
      1996 Dodge Grand Caravan - The daily mommy shuttle
      1998 Lexus SC400
      1988 Toyota Supra - fully built JDM 7MGTE T40 Turbo

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      if you put in a short ram you dont need to take out the resonator. but you might as well do it anyway

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks
      i took mine out and ran some flex pipe down thru the hole. then i removed the plastic inserts in the bumper (knew not to get fog lights for some reason). then i zip tied the flex pipe to the bumper ( i know a lil ghetto) and attached the flex pipe to my short ram air intake via a lil adapter peice you can get at pep boys and there you have it, a true ram air intake. works pretty good. noticed the difference at highway speeds when i went to downshift and accelerate. prolly helps at low end as well but i cant tell to much.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedudley17
      i took mine out and ran some flex pipe down thru the hole. then i removed the plastic inserts in the bumper (knew not to get fog lights for some reason). then i zip tied the flex pipe to the bumper ( i know a lil ghetto) and attached the flex pipe to my short ram air intake via a lil adapter peice you can get at pep boys and there you have it, a true ram air intake. works pretty good. noticed the difference at highway speeds when i went to downshift and accelerate. prolly helps at low end as well but i cant tell to much.
      works good until you hit that huge puddle and suck it up through the flex pipe, i did the cai but i didnt put my filter right where you could see it like some people did, but we get heavy rains here and id rather not worry about it

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks
      ive never had any probs with rain or puddles tho. i one time drove it thru the rain then unclipped the flex pipe from the filter and there was very little to no moisture at all that i could see or feel and the filter was dry. i think that all the grooves in the flex pipe catch most of the moisture and stop it from gettin to far. kind of like that AEM bypass coupler thingy. shoot i forget what its called but ive never had any probs. and as for deep puddles, i try my hardest to avoid them.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      i did this same mod, stock upper air box with a k&n filter, there is a noticable difference in the taller gears and when you accellerate above 4000rpms. Plus it sounds way nicer. i also removed the fog light on that side in anticipation on completing a ram air style intake system to keep that stock look at the dealership.

This is to those who say it can not be done... I will break 210kph!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast