•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing Belt Replacemnet Interval

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by majorlagg View Post
      In my case, my 2009 Aveo lost it's timing belt at 93000 miles. I suffered engine damage as a result. A dealership said my powertrain warranty expired in 2013. Now, if the warranty schedule says replace at 100,000 miles, how was I to avoid this engine damage that resulted?
      Usually the fine print in warranties is that it's x miles or x years, whichever comes first.

However, the belt should not have failed from age in only 5 or 6 years. Since yours is still close to the time frame of the warranty, you should complain to the manufacturer and keep complaining until they cover the repair. Persistence pays. Don't take "no" for an answer.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      Hi Polluted,

I’m sorry to hear that you experienced this problem with the timing belt in your Aveo. I suggest taking your vehicle to the dealership for it to be properly diagnosed. The timing belt is a component of your Powertrain Warranty, which is 5 years/ 100,000 miles. Please feel free to reach out to us if you would like for us to look further into this concern. If our assistance is needed, please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership. Thank you.

Kristen A.
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      It's pretty obvious that you didn't read and comprehend the original post. The OP didn't say he had a problem with his timing belt. He asked a question regarding the warranty and recommended interval for changing it.

Your reply is the usual scripted, corporate reply. Unfortunately this canned spam response is usually not helpful, as it amounts to no more than a public relations opportunity for GM.

Thanks to the regular devoted Aveo owners here, they clarified the differences between pre-2009 engines and the differences in recommended intervals of change.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      It's pretty obvious that you didn't read and comprehend the original post. The OP didn't say he had a problem with his timing belt. He asked a question regarding the warranty and recommended interval for changing it.

Your reply is the usual scripted, corporate reply. Unfortunately this canned spam response is usually not helpful, as it amounts to no more than a public relations opportunity for GM.

Thanks to the regular devoted Aveo owners here, they clarified the differences between pre-2009 engines and the differences in recommended intervals of change.
      Go easy on the girl. She's just doing her job. It's not like she has any creativity in her replies. I'm sure she's doing nothing more than copy/paste on a script Chevy has made for her. Remember, people who work for the man also have to eat/pay bills/live like the rest of us

besides that, I have a 06. I change the water pump/timing belt every 50k. Better be safe than sorry IMO

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

The newer model cars have some forgiveness and go out to 100,000 miles now. The older cars have a recommendation of 50,000 to 60,000 miles on them. I think I was told on here that 2010 and newer have the new engine and therefore it is at 100,000 miles. But if warranty is at 5 years or 100,000 which ever comes first then MajorLagg car should be covered because 2009 to 2013 is just 4 years and the milage is under 100,000 so warranty is still good. I would keep arguing for sure.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I don't think a Chevy dealer is going to honor the warranty. I checked with a dealer who has helped me out in the past. I have to check my cars plate to see the date of manufacture. The clock on the warranty may have started slightly before 2009. At any rate, anyone following the manufacturer's service schedule is risking severe engine damage. That will be taken up with Chevy's CEO after my repairs are done. I would tell anyone to have their belts changed at 50 to 60k despite what the manual says.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by majorlagg View Post
      I don't think a Chevy dealer is going to honor the warranty. I checked with a dealer who has helped me out in the past. I have to check my cars plate to see the date of manufacture. The clock on the warranty may have started slightly before 2009. At any rate, anyone following the manufacturer's service schedule is risking severe engine damage. That will be taken up with Chevy's CEO after my repairs are done. I would tell anyone to have their belts changed at 50 to 60k despite what the manual says.
      If you bought the car new, your warranty begins on the date you bought it, not the date on which the car was manufactured. Part of your warranty is not forfeited for that time when the car was sitting in the dealer's inventory. Don't let a dealer tell you differently. Just as they will say anything to get you to buy a car, they will say lots of absurd things to make you go away.

If the manufacturer states that the belt is good for 100K miles (as it is on models of 2009 and after), I'm holding them to that claim.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      According to Carfax, it was registered in September 2008. I didn't buy it new.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      If you bought the car new, your warranty begins on the date you bought it, not the date on which the car was manufactured.
      Absolutely correct! Warranty starts at the "in service" date. That should be remembered if you by a dealership "demonstrator" or "executive driven".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12