•  

Thread: double intake/turbo

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

double intake/turbo

is there a way to basically set up a turbo but not make it the sole intake? my thought being to have the standard/upgraded intake and basically have a t in the intake coming from a turbo, air will be pulled on a regular unless there is rapid acceleration, which would increase speed and force the turbo to push air as it is needed.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      turbos draw ambient air into the inducer, compress it, eject it into a charge pipe leading to ur throttle body{intercooled or not) A "T" in the charge pipe would ruin the point of the turbo doing its job of making the air more dense. hope I am being clear. do not mess with what has been proven time n time again. Remember u can change boosting characteristics based on the size of your turbo. A small turbo could make your car feel like a really strong naturally aspirated motor and boost almost instantly or a larger turbo could be used and boost later say 3500 to 4000 rpm .

Thanks
      that makes sense, i just wasnt sure if it were possible. i've read that turbos can ruin fuel efficiency, but i've also read that with the correct size turbo and non-spirited daily driving, it can improve the fuel efficiency. i was just curious if it were a beneficial possibility. i normally shift at 2000-2300 rpm so i would probably only benefit from a smaller turbo that won't have any turbo lag for spooling. would a turbo help at all while at speed (like lowering the engine's rpm) or is it only beneficial while accelerating?. any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Hondahunter's Avatar
      Thanks
      Turbo create torque on the power stroke of the engine. Anything 2500 rpm or less there is not enough exhaust flow to properly spool even a small turbo to be effective as that is the rpm base that they start picking up speed. Turbo only comes to life after 2500 so it's perfect for merging into interstate traffic and for lane changes but if your engine rarely sees anything over 3k then I would just do a flowing n/a setup
      Sorry officer... with all of your stickers and strobes I thought you wanted to race

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the aveo is a dog below 3000 rpm.. there are systems that can be run on/off, but are very complicated, and not worth the work to figure out an aftermarket version. It would work basically like a BOV to bypass the turbo in lower rpm. VW has a similar design in conjunction with a super charger for low end boost with the turbo picking up the top end. they call it a twin charger i think.

the right size turbo and proper tuning would allow as good as oem fuel efficiency through most of the power band and a little better in some areas, but more air always mean more fuel. SO without gearing the transmission to run the power at different speeds, then your most likely gonna worsen the fuel efficiency.

Thanks
      when on the freeway i'm cruising at around 63mph, which is around 2700-2800 rpm. when i am getting on the freeway i do stay in gear longer under acceleration. i have noticed that the acceleration under 3k is very slow, but fine while in city.