•  

Thread: transmission problem

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

transmission problem

Hello first post here.
      I just purchased a used 2008 Aveo hatchback with a manual transmission. It has 28000 miles currently and I am already having issues with the trans. As soon as I purchased I had a issue getting it into 5th gear, there was some grinding like the syncro was going out. It quickly elvolved into only intermittently being able to shift into 5.
      I have taken it to a mechanic who ruled out the shift linkage. He is recommending that I rebuild the transmission.

Is the transmission in the aveo that bad or do I need to get a third opinion?

Thanks
      These trans should be pretty good. Did he do the very basic and check the fluid level? Is it easy to get into reverse or are there problems there too? Sounds like you found the reason why they sold the car. Definately get another opinion, he could be 100% right or full of BS, make sure first.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i would (even against better judgement) get a second opinion on the shift linkage, or even just replace some of the pieces, the whole pivot arm/rods in the engine compartment is $55 and would take about an hour to swap in. @ $150 is the same price as a true diagnosis of whether the transmission is broken or not. AND that part of the shifter is sloppy when new and easily worn or breakable.

the 'real" diagnosis: does it grind, give resistance, or not go into the spot 5th is? if it shifts into gear fine, but grind only when you let out the clutch, then it could be the trans. can you put in in 5th gear when it is not running? if so try parking facing downhill on a step hill and put it in fifth and let the clutch out, what happens?

Thanks
      The last time I had some problem with the transmission it was just with the fluid.

Thanks
      I have an 06 5-Speed and that transmission can take a beating, there's a very small chance your transmission is gone. Like others have said, it's likely just the synchros... They're sloppy and weak from the time they come out of the plant, to be honest.

Thanks
      I have the same problem. First time when the car was under warranty with 3,000 miles. Dealer fixed it. Now at 160,000 miles the trans is stuck in 5th gear again. Their was some prior grinding when shifting into 3rd gear.
      did you find out the problem?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bjorkmae View Post
      These trans should be pretty good. Did he do the very basic and check the fluid level? Is it easy to get into reverse or are there problems there too? Sounds like you found the reason why they sold the car. Definately get another opinion, he could be 100% right or full of BS, make sure first.
      My 05 also is experiencing a grind to go in reverse and seems to go into 5th but when I release the clutch the engine races and the RPMs ramp up. The transmission has plenty of fluid and there is a possibility of a bad rear engine mount. I don't want to have to replace the transmission if I can help it? Can anyone kind of give me an idea what I'm dealing with here?