•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is My Transmission Going Bad?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Is My Transmission Going Bad?

I have a 2009 Aveo5 with a 5 speed manual transmission and only 22,000 miles, it seems like the shifter is very sloppy and it doesn't feel as solid as other manual cars I've driven. Another problem, when i accelerate the acceleration doesn't feel even, almost as if the clutch is slipping. The last problem I've had is, the shifter will get stuck between 3rd and 5th gear, i'll go to shift into 3rd and it'll jam between 3rd and 5th and i have to use both hands to pull it out.

Any ideas on what i should tell the dealer is the problem, it is still under factory warranty.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the stock shift linkage could be broken? it is very sloppy as it is.. engine mount issues can make it stuck or pull out of gear.

if it s under warranty let them figure it out? the slipping clutch is "possible" but a wear item, are you sure it is not missing or hesitating? 22k miles is close to the spark plug replacement interval..

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I know I've had to get my throttle body replaced twice (I'm at 94k miles) on my 07 sedan, oxygen sensors replaced a few times when I was experiencing the "uneven acceleration" you were talking about.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      I'd have a dealer check the transmission if it's still under warranty. A transmission should never stick. Could be a bent fork or a bent or broken component on the shifter. The shifter is pretty sloppy, it's a fact. But maybe made worst by the transmission problem you are having.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      Another problem, when i accelerate the acceleration doesn't feel even, almost as if the clutch is slipping.
      If the clutch were slipping, you should be able to notice the engine RPM rise on the tach out of sync with your road speed. It would sound & feel more like an automatic than a manual.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by b.waniger View Post
      I have a 2009 Aveo5 with a 5 speed manual transmission and only 22,000 miles, it seems like the shifter is very sloppy and it doesn't feel as solid as other manual cars I've driven. Another problem, when i accelerate the acceleration doesn't feel even, almost as if the clutch is slipping. The last problem I've had is, the shifter will get stuck between 3rd and 5th gear, i'll go to shift into 3rd and it'll jam between 3rd and 5th and i have to use both hands to pull it out.

Any ideas on what i should tell the dealer is the problem, it is still under factory warranty.

i have the exact same problem, i had it since 40000km now i am at 120000 km,
      it really hurts my arm,,,, and also cause neck pain,,,,
      talked to any mechanic, they only tell me to lubricate the shift linkage,,,

its a very very very very slow car.... with this problem,,,, this car doesnt drive like any normal vehicle,,,

its even way slower than honda civic.,,,, it needs an advanced driver to operate this sloppy transmission,
      never train a new guy on aveo....

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      when you upshifting,, you have to let go the gas pedal and disengauge the clutch,,, it takes timing for two action,,, if you are lucky, you can shift straight from 1 to 2,,, and clutch wont bounce... takes a very precise timing....
      if it's not,,,, ha, the shifter is blocked at the opening of 2, and you were trying to shift hard and fast, and the damn thing blocked you.,... if that happens many times,,, i gurantee your neck will hurt after a while.... if it happens you are just gonna put more strength on your shifter,,, and also your sitting posture willl slightly changed,,,, ....

this aveo,,,, oh my god, is killing me....
      anymore useful idea what shall i do too???? any people in here just telll me to lube the shift linkage,
      i did, and i did, and i did,,, and its still.....

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      So everything was fine up until 40Kkm, and then something went suddenly bad with the shifting, and it's been like that for 80Kkm? You didn't mention the year - the OP had an '09 and like many others, never followed-up with the outcome to his problem. It almost sounds like you're trying to drive it like a racer, and expecting it to perform like one. I have an '05 5-sp, and have had no problems at all (120K miles). But I don't push mine - just mid speed commuter kind of driving. Maybe Aveo linkage is "sloppy", but if so I must have gotten used to it a long time ago.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      PERFECT_ESL,
      We see that you're writing from Canada, otherwise we'd offer to check into this ourselves. If you are ever in need of Customer Service, GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

Sarah (Assisting Vanessa), Chevrolet Customer Service
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i can suggest solutions based on my experience.

first the dog bone mount. (lower engine mount) leave very much to be desired. The aveo is one of few cars i can think of to have solid shift linkage (not bicycle cables like most fwd). The shifting of the engine effects the movement of the shift. I have noticed on my own that a "power" shift where the engine really rocks back and forth will prevent gear changes, or pull the car out off gear.

second is again the solid shift linkage. it is sloppy as mentioned, and also plastic clips on the end that seem to wear quickly.
      I made a few sets of short shifters that resolved this, the people who bought them noted the improvement to me. But the short shift does also accentuate the other issues that effect the solid linkage.

third. on my car i could most of the bolt holding the brace for the rear motor mount were loose (at 150 miles from new, one had already fallen out making the car undriveable). but any looseness in that mount shifts and binds the pivot point on the top of it for the shifter. I fixed this myself as for the most part it was just turning in the bolts. EVERY one of them were loose. I proceeded to tighten all the bell housing bolts and start bolts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast