•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 Aveo, overheated, oil light came on

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      Thank you. I did receive all of the emails and will contact you in a day or two with an update on what I find out.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

I have noticed this as well, oil these days seems to "eat" rubber...not likely the oil is to blame, a cheaper rubber is. Thats too bad though need to fix it first before you can determine what else was cooked. Sometimes thermostats stay wide open when they are heated...not sure on the Aveo's...I just had that hose off mine yesterday, not hard for you to change, fill it with coolant and determine source of ps leak, might just be a clamp...they do make a PS additive that will swell seals...but not something I would use....and you might want to check the ps oil lid, it's vented and if it's plugged may push oil out the seal...if someone has overfilled it in the past....vent maybe plugged.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
      I have noticed this as well, oil these days seems to "eat" rubber...not likely the oil is to blame, a cheaper rubber is. Thats too bad though need to fix it first before you can determine what else was cooked. Sometimes thermostats stay wide open when they are heated...not sure on the Aveo's...I just had that hose off mine yesterday, not hard for you to change, fill it with coolant and determine source of ps leak, might just be a clamp...they do make a PS additive that will swell seals...but not something I would use....and you might want to check the ps oil lid, it's vented and if it's plugged may push oil out the seal...if someone has overfilled it in the past....vent maybe plugged.
      Well I bought the car with 14k on the clock, my friends dealership said that the original owner had the extended warranty on it, wish that would carry over. The ps pump always looked dirty, not leaky though. I take good care of my cars, and wouldn't have let something leak on me if I saw any sign of it. Car never felt like it lacked power steering, so I know I wasn't losing fluid fast if at all.... Plus normally the pump will make noise when its low... So this story about the ps pump causing the hose to soften just seems weird. I am deeply concerned with the thought that I will get the car fixed and something else will be hurt.... If thats the case I will be dropping it off for actual powertrain fixes

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      like i said my upper radiator hose on my 2009 leaked at the clamp on the thermostat. the clamp basically seemed to have cut the hose. the dealer does not like the oem type clamp and put the old style on.

Thanks
      My first question or suspicion is why did someone trade it in at 14K? Must have had problems as you will take a bath trading in a new car with 14K on it. A bath!

Did the dealer give you any warranty? Obviously GM is not honoring the 5yr/100K since you are not the original owner.

You probably should have shut it down the first time and not tried to drive it home. Guess you don't have any roadside assistance?

I would never trust a car that has been cooked, so my advice, fix it and trade it in..to the same dealer, make it his problem

Run Forest, Run

Thanks
      Well I have all state/verizon roadside, they said they couldnt find a towing company anywhere near me and that it was my problem.... THANKS VZW.....

I agree about the 14k thing, though the dealer said the person who traded it in had complained of the wind noise while going down the highway...

I will be selling this car as soon as its fixed.... Sad thing is, I went to a Ford dealer when I went to purchase a car, and they sold me this.... Thanks Ford lol

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by longtermproject View Post
      Well I have all state/verizon roadside, they said they couldnt find a towing company anywhere near me and that it was my problem.... THANKS VZW.....

I agree about the 14k thing, though the dealer said the person who traded it in had complained of the wind noise while going down the highway...

I will be selling this car as soon as its fixed.... Sad thing is, I went to a Ford dealer when I went to purchase a car, and they sold me this.... Thanks Ford lol
      ya even Ford needs to pawn off the junk to someone...I would have traded my 09 in at 8500Km if I could have I knew after 60 days was a huge mistake but your right someone was gonna take a hit on it and at that time it would have been me. Aveojunk is right, and I am sorry to say it, if you cook it send it down the road a 1 or 2 thousand dollar hit right here and now will be cheaper in the long run given the whole mess of other problems your going to have both related to an unrelated to this heating. VW or Ford seem to be th iron of choice, and if you shop right you will come out with something that gets fuel milage, I mean real fuel milage and you will get your hit back in savings that way.

Or my favorite option buy a 2003-2005 Cavalier now that car works and works great 225,000KM on mine and drives like brand new, get 90,000km out of the tires, 30mpg.....no car payments, cheap insurance no depreciation to speak of plows through snow...it's a real car....AVeo just a poser
      Last edited by HeavyDuty; 08-30-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks
      Well the car is repaired. The Dealer lowered their rate to $69.95, so I was out $74 there, and I purchased 2 gallons of 50/50 af and the lower radiator hose that was actually cracked. That cost me about $36 and I have a mail in rebate for $6 off ($3 per af gallon). Put the new hose on, filled with coolant and drove it to work. Temperature seems about an 1/8" lower than what it used to read, not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing, lol.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by longtermproject View Post
      Well the car is repaired. The Dealer lowered their rate to $69.95, so I was out $74 there, and I purchased 2 gallons of 50/50 af and the lower radiator hose that was actually cracked. That cost me about $36 and I have a mail in rebate for $6 off ($3 per af gallon). Put the new hose on, filled with coolant and drove it to work. Temperature seems about an 1/8" lower than what it used to read, not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing, lol.
      Hi Longtermproject,

Glad to hear everything worked out with your vehicle. Please let me know if you would like for me to close your case. Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      Hi Longtermproject,

Glad to hear everything worked out with your vehicle. Please let me know if you would like for me to close your case. Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service

You can close the ticket, its not like I will be calling back regarding something that is not covered. I appreciate you trying to help, but the customer service regarding a $10 part on my car was enough to make me serious about selling it. The car will be washed and waxed this weekend, and will be on the market by Saturday afternoon. This is the first car I have owned out of 43 that I am willing to break even, or even take a loss on, just to get rid of it.

Thanks
      if temp gauage is showing diff than before than I would change the thermostat on a rainy day...sensors and stats don't take the heat any better than anything else....the last thing you want is the stat to not open LOL well at least it's running and no clouds of blue smoke behind you, AN OIL CHANGE A GREAT IDEA just in case you for some reason get stuck owning it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12