•  
    Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Aveo 5-spd sedan - timing belt broke - being repaired

Banned
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      impact wench vs. flywheel NEXT on Sick Sad World (as you can tell I am easily amused)
      you did it wrong. but coming up with puns for Sick Sad World is fun.

- 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Hi, noob here.
      Sorry to dig up an old thread but, I have had almost word for word the same problem as Daox.
      I replaced my sisters 05 engine with a low mileage 07 from a local guy after a massive timing belt failure (the tensioner melted)
      after doing some online research and trying almost everything else I took it to a dealer for a relearn, only to get the run around and a lot of bad customer service.
      First time I took it in they just flashed the ecu after correcting me and telling me it was called a "pcm"
      of course the engine light was flashing again not a block away from the dealer.
      Second time I brought in a paper with instructions for the procedure. When they finally let me speak with their "master technician" the next day, he had not performed the relearn and informed me that the car needed a complete new wire harness for $2000 because I had broken off the little tabs on fuel injector pigtails and the loose connection was causing the error code, after pleading with him to please try the relearn anyway, he agreed and took the car back for 10 minutes then returned it with the light off.
      I was cautiously optimistic and after test driving it around town for a bit I returned it to my sister only to be informed that it was back to its same antics after she refueled it.
      I was at my wits end, I even tried replacing the injector pigtails with some from the wrecking yard that I carefully soldered in but, still no dice. I'm starting to think that the dealer just B.S.'d me and reset the ecu but, I can't afford to just shell out another $100 on that hunch. I would really appreciate any more advice you guys might have on this subject, or if anyone knows a way to hack the ecu or somehow disable the error code? it's an automatic so driving around without overdrive is a huge problem.

Thanks
      The shop (not a dealer) I took mine too first could not do the relearn for some reason. They borrowed a scan tool from another local shop. I've also talked with other people at other shops (not dealers) who have had the same problem (engine swap + P0300) and they also had problems doing the relearn. I don't know what is so hard about this procedure, but my dealer was the only one who could get it done. I'd suggest taking it to a different dealer unfortunately. There is no other known way to fix it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I would call gm regional, explain to them that your closest dealer has tried unsuccessfully 3 times to fix a different issue instead of doing the repair you researched on the internet that is proven successful. Then ask them which dealership you should take it to if you want it fixed correctly the first time.

Even go as far as telling the person the code and the relearn procedure. How much you spent at the dealership to not fix the problem, This way whomever they recommend if they don't fix it the first time you can call back and ask gm to get involved. (they may or may not). Or they will call the dealership you've been going to and ask them why they havent fixed the car.

it seems to need to be done with the gm dealer issue scan tool. so you are stuck with dealerships. I work on all my own stuff, if the manufacturer is going to design something that i, or a lot of independent shops, can not do, their dealership damn well better be able to do it right the first time.

Thanks
      Thanks for the replies.
      I was losing sleep over this problem and managed to contact the guy I bought the engine from, he is still parting out his 07 and I'm wondering if I stick the original engines pcm in my car if that might help? I'm thinking it might be worth a try.

Thanks
      07 uses drive by wire, 05 is cable throttle. It won't work. Sorry, ya gotta get the relearn done.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      i lol'd when i scrolled up in seen z34's spam...

good luck btw

Thanks
      I decided to take it in to a different dealer on your advice.
      I'm thrilled to say that it is finally fixed My year long ordeal is over!

If any of you live in Utah, don't ever give Murdock Chevrolet any of your business,
      They are lying, cheating, dishonest scum.
      Young Chevrolet on the other hand treated me great and only charged me $70 for the fix.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      good to hear you got it fixed

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      ok guys i just poppd belt n 2006 aveo ,,i just did engine replace ,,,i used an 07 motor in my 06(caus they are same motor)i got a 30000 mi motor shippd to wv for 550.00 ,,now i keep gettn a misfire code ,,and rogh road code too
      wow ,,gm really kiked us with this one
      i just paid a 500 tow bill ..550 motort 115 clutch lus 3260.00 for my labor help ,,im outta cash
      plus my 2010 is all dirty now(caus i had to drive it n damn snow )so
      im gonna drive my 06 and let codes fly
      what will happen if i dopnt do relearn ,,i donty care if it uses a lil more fuel ,,its my work ride
      \it runs great not misfiring at all
      ecm shows misfire and rough road code

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast