•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Aveo with a bad belt

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2005 Aveo with a bad belt

I am new so here is a little background:
      Wife bought a 2005 Aveo 5dr brand new in may 2005. She drove the car eveyday and did no maintenance to it at all. I got the call last Novemeber that the car died when she was driving it. Car towed to a shop and they said timing belt went and probably screwed up the valves. Long story short; car sat for the past year and new it is home and paid off. Using this forum, I pulled the head off. I was told by the repair shop that it had bent valves and at least one piston had a hole. After pulling the head I see no piston damage. Valves are toast though. I am looking for advice where to go from here? Buy a reman head? with valves and springs only or full head? repair my head? Some of the items look hard to change when the car is complete- starter , alternator, hoses; should I change them now?Name:  nov 24,2011 063.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  96.1 KBName:  nov 25,2011 010.jpg
Views: 3188
Size:  95.9 KBName:  nov 25,2011 022.jpg
Views: 5591
Size:  96.1 KB

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      i would just get a reman head and bolt it right up, as far as the other items are concerned if there still working i wouldnt change them

Thanks
      So you think I should just buy the full head and obviously a new timing belt, tensioner, and gasket set?
      -I asked about the other parts because they look hard to get to latter and I plan on keeping the car. I am going to drive it as a daily driver while my truck gets a new engine. Any other parts I should change or upgrade while in there? I was reading something about a metal water neck?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      yeah i had my head rebuilt when my belt broke and cost me quite a bit,im not sure how many parts are involved when it comes to putting on a new head, but wouldnt replace the parts with new ones, the part you heard of the it metal thermostat housing which many people have swaped out intead of the old plastic one that was prone to breaking.

Thanks
      Do I need to get a full reman head or can I just buy the head with valves and springs? I guess what I am asking is willmy cam and lifters just pull from my head and go onto the new one? Is there cam bearings involved?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      you dont need a full reman. you can also just get yours rebuilt, or buy used. look into what option you feel comfortable ith and can afford.

Thanks
      Thanks for the advice so far. I have no problems with paying decent money for a good head. Like I said, I want the car to be sound as I will need to drive it for a bit. I still wonder about moving the cams from my head to a reman. head. Are there bearings involved in this? How are they handled? Swap them over or buy new? I am very familiar with v-8's and haven't done a OHC engine in a long time.Name:  nov 24,2011 089.jpg
Views: 3222
Size:  102.5 KB

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      If the cams aren't warped or excessively worn, you could reuse them. You would just have to check the clearance and make sure it's within spec. I'm not sure if the cam bearings are serviceable off the top of my head, but I believe they are part of the head.

Thanks
      I just got a 05 that had a timing belt let loose at 80mph. I had the head rebuilt by a race shop in town and only cost me $200. Your case I would look into a used motor from a auto recycler. I found one for $900. Since if you spend the 700 large for a reman head then repair the piston you will have more into the motor than a low milage salvage motor.

Good Luck

Thanks
      You must have missed the last few posts. My pistons are fine. Only the valves are trashed. My question is if I get a reman. head without the cams and lifters; what is involved in putting my cam and lifters into the new head? Is it nothing more than swapping the cam and lifters and retorquing the cam bearing caps? Are there any bearings or clearances I need to check?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast