•  

Thread: SOLVED: No Fourth Gear after Head Replacement! Broken Timing Belt KILLED THE VALVES

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

SOLVED: No Fourth Gear after Head Replacement! Broken Timing Belt KILLED THE VALVES

Greeting Everybody, After Timing Belt Failure, and New Valves and etc... Lots of Codes and No Fourth Gear. Engine runs Great. Can't afford Dealer Prices so we did it ourselves. Looking into the engine compartment, and behind the Intake. There is a Square Plug that we can find no place to plug it in. The wire is very short and reaches the left side of the intake just barely. I am getting balder by the minute pulling hair from head. Does anyone know where this little square plug goes? I have multiple Transmission Communication Codes and in all about 10 fault codes are found. We changed the timing belt with the Gates TCK-335 kit (Idler, Tensioner, Belt, Water Pump an etc... ) at 58,000 miles. and at 118,000 miles the belt broke. I am Not Happy with Daewoo at this time. Could someone look under their hood and tell me if this wire even plugs in somewhere and Where? Looking into the engine bay from the front, it will be behind the Intake Manifold on the passenger side. I am a Disabled Fire Fighter, hurt in the line of duty. Money is tight and all help is appreciated. I have been told that the car is in Limp Mode. Engine is Running GREAT just no fourth gear and Lots of Stupid Codes ..... Check Engine Light is On ....

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      You didn't list the year - on my '05 there is the air intake temp sensor which goes into the back side of the air intake TB hose. Also in that neighborhood are the IAC and TPS connectors, but those are rectangular not square. Very unfortunate about the timing belt problem, considering you had just barely reached the second 60K relacement interval. Did you see any failure in either of the pulleys or the WP, or did it appear to be the belt itself breaking?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      You didn't list the year - on my '05 there is the air intake temp sensor which goes into the back side of the air intake TB hose. Also in that neighborhood are the IAC and TPS connectors, but those are rectangular not square. Very unfortunate about the timing belt problem, considering you had just barely reached the second 60K relacement interval. Did you see any failure in either of the pulleys or the WP, or did it appear to be the belt itself breaking?
      It is a 2004 Aveo. This wire with plug seems to be coming from the transmission. Please, what do the initials in your post stand for. Kind of learning as we go here. The wire with plug will not reach or barely reach the big air intake hose nor any of the sensors there. Is there a hidden sensor somewhere out of site on the back of the Throttle Body... plastic thingy? This plug would not reach up very high anywhere on the back of the Intake. And will no way go to anything but a limited area around the back of the intake. This plug is very clean so we believe that it does plug up somewhere. Thanks for looking.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      My '05 is a manual trans. But if it's coming from the auto transmission, perhaps it's one of the TCM/ speed sensor wiring harness connectors. Maybe if you bring it down into the tranny area, it might become easy to see where it goes. The parts in my previous post are the Throttle Position Sensor, and the Idle Air Control valve, both of which are attached to the throttle body.

Thanks
      Thanks for the help. I can do the valves and rebuild my favorite 1957 Chevy but, this Computer Stuff is new to me.

Thanks
      This was the ECM Temp Sensor that was Unplugged. We had a very hard time finding where it does plug in. Symptom was Engine Codes P1792, P1781, P0118, P1115, P0700 and P0107. The engine would go to about 3500 RPM for about 15 seconds when started and then RUN GREAT. There was NO FOURTH GEAR (automatic) There are 2 Coolant Sensors for this Car. One runs the Indicator on the dashboard and the other one goes to the Computer ECM Module. The Computer Coolant Sensor is located on the Head and on the Intake Side, between Number 1 and Number 2 Cylinders. It is easiest to get to from under the Car. We could not find or get to it from under the hood. After plugging this Sensor back in, and clearing the Codes with an OBD2 Scanner, the Car Runs Great. Fourth Gear Returned and we are very happy to have her back and doing well. It would have been much easier to plug in before setting the Head back on the engine. Good Luck to All who rebuild these motors after the Timing Belt Breaks. tvman1954@gmail.com