•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauge Cluster Thread?

Banned
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Gauge Cluster Thread?

I figured why not start a thread about posting pictures of your gauge cluster and keep track of your car's mileage online, reporting any problems it has.

Here's mine to start us off.

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34
      3.4L DOHC 24 Valve V6
      4T60e 4 speed automatic w/ OD
      121,750 miles currently (most recent gauge pic I had)

Car's problems: ABS not working (I think it's a wheel speed sensor)
      engine tends to overheat if sitting too long or on a hot day (only 1 of the cooling fans is currently spinning. trying to figure out the problem)
      Have to pull the turn signal stalk back to get the brake lights to work when braking (common 1990's W-body problem)
      Driver's side window motor is blown (standard electric windows FTL)
      Passenger's side electric window motor is starting to go.
      at night, the lights seem to fade in and out with the engine revs (which like to bounce between 1,000 and 1,300 at idle)
      Tires need replacing ASAP (running 5 year old Yokohama's with no tread left on them. Japanese tires on an American car. oh the irony. I didn't buy them. My moron of a brother did.)

... basically every problem I have aside from the tires is electric.

- 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Gauge Cluster Thread?

Here's a couple of pictures of my gauges, and IMO we got the rest of the forum to discuss our car's problems...

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Banned
      Thanks

I figured that not everyone here owns JUST an Aveo and keeping track of the mileage and problems would be helpful to other members possibly considering a car that another member may have experience with. I figured this would help them know what problems to expect and make car shopping a bit easier. Example, I know that you, Serega12 also have a Chevy HHR.
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z34guy
      I figured that not everyone here owns JUST an Aveo and keeping track of the mileage and problems would be helpful to other members possibly considering a car that another member may have experience with. I figured this would help them know what problems to expect and make car shopping a bit easier. Example, I know that you, Serega12 also have a Chevy HHR.
      I got that sometime in January with 54k... now I'm a little over 70k. And the year is far from over yet.

So far the only things I've done to it was replaced the iridium spark plugs for some new iridium spark plugs at 60K. Turned the stock rotors twice and later bought some cross-drilled and slotted ones, but the slight vibration in the steering wheel and vibration came back. Sometimes its stronger than other times. So I'm suspecting that its something else, like unevenly tightened lug nuts or something of that sort... seems to be a common problem with HHRs.
      Also replaced the sway bar links cause the original ones were too worn and started knocking/making noise going over bumps.
      replaced the headlight bulbs with some bixenon 6000K HID bulbs and foglight bulbs to some 3000K HID bulbs (same combo on the third car I own in two years). They work awesome.
      Replaced the tires with some Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Dry/Wet/Snow) tires about 9-10K miles ago, very happy with them. Got the front windows (originally 70% factory tint) overlaid with some 35% tint to match the factory 20% tint on all back windows and sunroof.
      Still need to replace the windshield, I bought it with about 12-15 inch crack but it never bugged me enough cause it's all on passenger side and I pretty much never ride there.
      Installed LED strip and white vinyl eyebrows. Cleaned and reoiled the K&N drop-in filter. Changed the oil to 5W-30 full synthetic AMSOil.
      I think that is about all I've done so far to it. Love the cargo space (about the same as my old CX-7) love way the car handles and how it accelerates, even with automatic the 2.4 is powerful enough.
      No timing belt to worry about with the chain.
      and like rabbit likes to say, that's about all I want to type on my Nexus One.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

engine tends to overheat if sitting too long or on a hot day (only 1 of the cooling fans is currently spinning. trying to figure out the problem)
      Have to pull the turn signal stalk back to get the brake lights to work when braking (common 1990's W-body problem)
      at night, the lights seem to fade in and out with the engine revs (which like to bounce between 1,000 and 1,300 at idle).
      thats a lot of problems for the best platform ever.. the japanese tires are probably the only thing holding it together.

My aveo, 24k (its been parked other than two 200 mile coil over test runs..) nothing wrong with it..

Banned
      Thanks

I rented an HHR once as a last minute Prom ride (Don't laugh). It was a black LT 2.2L model with tinted windows. I liked how well appointed it was, but OMG! IT WAS SO SLOW! And on the highway at 60MPH, open up one of the rear windows and the whole thing shakes violently.
      But that's the extent of my experience with them.

Banned
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      at night, the lights seem to fade in and out with the engine revs (which like to bounce between 1,000 and 1,300 at idle).
      thats a lot of problems for the best platform ever.. the japanese tires are probably the only thing holding it together.

My aveo, 24k (its been parked other than two 200 mile coil over test runs..) nothing wrong with it..
      LOL! Those problems have been piling up for a while now. Trust me. I've seen newer cars not hold up NEAR so well. It's a 1995 model so it's about 15 years old (build date was August 7, 1994). This car has 121,750 miles on it. Any car at that mileage is gonna have a few problems with it. No car is completely bulletproof. It starts up every time and gives me no trouble. This car was babied most of it's life from the day it rolled off the line. So much so that in 1999, it had only 12,000 miles on it and in 2005, it had 56,000. Then my mother let my brother borrow it for 6 months when his Nissan 240SX blew a headgasket. In 6 months, he beat the everliving sh*t out of that car every day (He floored the pedal EVERYWHERE. evidenced as he was only getting 120 miles per tank from a 17 gallon tank) and in 6 months he put 40,000 miles on it. with absolutely NO maintenance on it. It required new tires in the time he had it, so my parents gave him the money for new tires, stating specifically to put Goodyear Eagle's on it. He put the cheapest tires he could that would fit the required 225/60/R16 tire size. He pocketed the rest of the money and bought pot with it (yes. my brother's a pothead -_-. If' it's not his car, he doesn't care). The car didn't have so much as an oil change in that 40,000 miles and it runs today with almost no mechanical problems. I'd say the beast is holding up extremely well.

Thanks

...No car is completely bulletproof....
      This one is:

Banned
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      ...No car is completely bulletproof....
      This one is:
      50 cal through the grille into the motor

Thanks

that will probably be the last thing you do though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast