•  

Thread: Buyer Beware

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Buyer Beware

So today I went to the local police Bicycle and Seized Property auction. 2 years ago I picked up a massive 12" bandpass box with 500w(IRCC) Alpine monoamp for $5. I the last one was a bust so I was reluctant to go to this one.

There was this large box with 2 10"s and 2 8" and 2 horn drivers. When this item came up the bidding started at $150 but eventually went down to $2, there was a bidding war up to $7 which I won.

When I got home I inspected the setup and the thing looked legit. I hooked it up to a stereo with one set of jacks and all speakers were getting excursion, I tested the input jack, same thing. So i wanted to check out the wiring.

When i took out the first 10" it wasnt connected to anything, in fact it didn't have any connectors or the spring(if thats what its called) at the base of the cone. Turns out the 2 10s are impostors. But the air pressure from the two 8s(which work just fine) actually causes them to produce sound, pretty neat. well I find it neat, though Im sure some will think its dumb due to it being simple physics or whatever.

Im assuming this item was seized as evidence or something after being used as storage; for what exactly I dont know, but I could come up with some guesses.

Im not too bummed about it. After all it was only $7 and the 8"s work great. but if the 10s were real; that would of been even more badass.

That's my story. Beware of what you bid on at auction.

Thanks

Re: Buyer Beware

they were probably passive subs (unpowered), like the basslink boxes have one powered and one passive sub.

Thanks

Re: Buyer Beware

That has been sugested to me. but when I explained how everything was setup, they were skeptical to that.