Thread: Aveo - Worst affordable car?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Aveo - Worst affordable car?

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_c ... N0LXNtYWxs

I still say it's all personal opinion.
      I like my Aveo.

As a matter of fact, we went to a comedy club last night, guy started picking on Aveo's. I yelled out I love mine (I am not the type of person to do that, but I wasn't going to let him continue that assault )

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Re: Aveo - Worst affordable car?

haha those things are so biased....they probably just found out the aveo, reno, and forenza originate from daewoos so they gave them bad scores...they never consider how much cheaper you can get the bottom three from the top three. i love how the honda fit now gets 38 mpg

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

i still resent that they say all this bad stuff about the aveo. granted its not a top of the line luxury car, or was it german engineered to perfection and its certainly not my $50000 Suburban which gets 5 gas stations per mile, but it is easy to handle, gets me around economically, gets good gas mileage, and sure is a joy to drive instead of manuvering the "road yacht" around to do errands.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

yea i saw and read this the other day, i like how they say the aveo is underpowered when i believe none of the other have more then 120 hp

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

I'm so sick of the american auto industry and market... half the problem comes from these reviewers.

The aveo does one thing extremely well. It's dirt cheap. You simply cannot find another new car for $8,000, and for $8,000 it does several other things acceptably. It gets good gas mileage (I average 30-35 combined). It has acceptable power (the Yaris feels absolutely lethargic compared to the aveo). Cost of ownership is low. Insurance is next to nothing. Maintenance is low: oil changes, tires, brakes, and timing belt. The steering is a bit wonkey, but the car is very nimble at low-mid speeds. I can still fit most the same places I could with our aspire.

It's an age of mediocrity. It's rare for cars today to do one thing very well. The companies are trying to appease everyone and make a car that does everything. They inevitably fail and end up with a car that does nothing very well. They're boring and overpriced.

I'd love to see the return of the days when car companies knew their place in the auto industry. VW had the mk1 GTi. An affordable and purposeful "Peoples" hot hatch. Dodge single handedly opened the tuner scene to the US mainstream with the Neon SRT-4. Chevy had the interchangeability with the s10 platform, and you simply could not kill most of their cars. BMW had it's M series, quietly styled monsters. Mazda had the 323gtx, the mx-5, the rx-7, they had a car for every form of motorsport and they all were exceptional.

Now-a-days you see none of this. Chevy's lineup is boring and overpriced. Mazda, while it has probably some of the best looking cars today, is bloated with the exception of the mx-5, and seriously... don't try to make a crossover seem like a sportscar, you're not fooling me. VW has forgotten it's roots. $16k for a rabbit, doesn't sound like the people's car to me. BMW has turned their quietly styled monsters into vulgar displays that make my eyes want to vomit.

I've forgotten where I was going with this... but in any case, the car companies need to get their act together.

oshi, work.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Thanks

If you think the srt-4 started the tuner scene in mainstream US, you are mistaken.

Thanks

I take these reviews with a grain of salt.

I know the Aveo isn't the fanciest car around, but it gets more miles to the gallon than our 2000 Blazer (14 miles about. As you can imagine the poor Blazer sits in the driveway feeling unloved as we use the Aveo for all the running around).
      It has an unbelievable amount of room when you roll up the seats. People are usually shocked by that.
      I have a nice tight turning radius (love that).
      I can fit into parking spots other cars would have to drive by.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

its a good little car, easy to manuever, and gets great gas mileage. my wife and i love ours!!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aveodude
      If you think the srt-4 started the tuner scene in mainstream US, you are mistaken.
      I say opened to the US mainstream. It's a bit of an overstatement, I see that now... but I can't think of any car that had more OEM aftermarket offerings. The amount of mopar performance parts available was rediculous. Don't understand how they thought the caliber could take it's place.

I would see a couple people with cavaliers, berrettas and older neons... a few actually nice cars... but when that came out, all I saw were those revamped neons from this crowd.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Thanks

yeah, they had alot of OEM support but so did the cavi. You could totally build the engine through chevy and add a supercharger and keep the warranty. OEM support does not necessarily mean tuner scene. Many American cars were modded and in the tuner mainstream before the SRT-4. Just non of them aimed to be like the SRT-4.
      And take a test drive in a MS3 or MS6 and you will see that mazda has good cars besides the MX-5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast