•  

Thread: Inside door handle

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Inside door handle

I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo. The key lock on the outside of the driver's door came loose and fell down into the door. When I rolled the window down (electric window) the lock mechanism got caught on the bar that connects the inside door handle to the door latch and broke it loose. Is there a way to access this so that I can reconnect the handle so I can open the door from the inside?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      you have to take the door panel off most likely if it moved. But there is a hook and a plastic "stay" that attaches at either end of the rod. Depending on where yours came apart is how far you have to tear it down.

Thanks

Post Inside door handle.

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      you have to take the door panel off most likely if it moved. But there is a hook and a plastic "stay" that attaches at either end of the rod. Depending on where yours came apart is how far you have to tear it down.
      I've had the door panel off with no problem. the rod is still attached to the handle but is not attached to the latch. I bought a box of various plastic stays that attach to the rod because the one on it broke. I'm wondering if the metal behind the panel will come off the door as well so I can see how to attach and avoid the window. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post.

Thank you
      Tim

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Tim J View Post
      I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo. The key lock on the outside of the driver's door came loose and fell down into the door. When I rolled the window down (electric window) the lock mechanism got caught on the bar that connects the inside door handle to the door latch and broke it loose. Is there a way to access this so that I can reconnect the handle so I can open the door from the inside?
      Mine did this, but luckily it was just the screw was missing that held the lock cylinder. It was NOT inside the closed interior of the door and I have NO idea where it went. I went to our Lowe's and got bolt and washer and fixed it. It was a pain in the a** to get to since I have big hands.

I realize this really isn't a solution, but I was curious of the screw was missing from inside your driver door as well? It's a closed space and can't fall though the drain holes in the bottom of the door. Where the hell do they go?

Best of luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewButler05 View Post
      Mine did this, but luckily it was just the screw was missing that held the lock cylinder. It was NOT inside the closed interior of the door and I have NO idea where it went. I went to our Lowe's and got bolt and washer and fixed it. It was a pain in the a** to get to since I have big hands.

I realize this really isn't a solution, but I was curious of the screw was missing from inside your driver door as well? It's a closed space and can't fall though the drain holes in the bottom of the door. Where the hell do they go?

Best of luck!
      I think there is a black hole or Bermuda triangle in there somewhere. My screw disappeared. I used a magnet from one end of the bottom to the other and never found the screw.
      Did you happen to notice when you had the door panel off whether or not there are screws that will allow you to remove the metal panels as well?

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Tim J View Post
      I think there is a black hole or Bermuda triangle in there somewhere. My screw disappeared. I used a magnet from one end of the bottom to the other and never found the screw.
      Did you happen to notice when you had the door panel off whether or not there are screws that will allow you to remove the metal panels as well?
      I think you're right, I tried the same thing with one of those pocket telescoping magnets and couldn't find it either. I removed the door panel and a small metal shield of some sort that used pop rivets. I think you know what I'm talking about if you've had the door panel off. As far as I could tell there's no way to separate the interior of the door. Welds are stronger than screws in the event of a crash, I guess that's why you can't easily.

This is a rare "common" issue with Aveo's if that makes sense. When it does happen its nearly textbook like with identical symptoms...

I'm trying to remember how mine looked, and I can't think of an easy way to "get" in that small space...

I hope you have an Epiphany about how to get in there and come back and share it with me. lol

-Andrew