•  

Thread: Disable Always on Amber blinkers

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Disable Always on Amber blinkers

The reason I'm doing this is I love the gigantic stock blinkers but I don't enjoy them as a always on light, I think custom foglights are better for that purpose. I also have the DRLs disabled with $14 LED heatsink+Fan led headlights in my car, extremely bright when combined with chrome projection light era housings. Secondly I believe this will make the blinkers last the maximum amount of time as long as you're careful when modifying and installing.

0. Negative battery cable removed, just in-case so you don't fry anything while removing bulbs.

1. Grind down or cut off the left contact of the 1157 bulb when the side post most close to the base of a 1157 bulb is facing down as pictured. I used a wen tool rotary from ebay, about $25.
      Name:  step1.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  105.3 KB

2. After that I recommend coating that ground down contact with something insulated, I used regular $2.99 Permatex Silicone Black from Home Depot. This also spaced the bulb and keeps it in the socket at the intended pressure so whatever you choose should simulate the original blob that's now missing.
      Name:  step2.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  28.6 KB

Repeat for all 4 bulbs

3.After the Permatex is done drying. Re-install everything.

Additional steps: I ordered some Long Life Wagner bulbs they looked a step above the rest in durability on rock auto, so I went directly over to ebay to pick a set of those up for cheaper than rock autos combined shipping cost. I plan on going full LED soon but right now I'm daily driving so got some stock bulbs for temp.

Alternatively you can modify the harness by cutting the pink colored wire in this picture although I believe the slightly more time consuming method I used is more elegant and less damaging to the car. There is a added benefit of never having to modify another bulb with the wire harness method.
      Name:  DSC_0761.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  67.3 KB

How it looks with cheap heatsinked LEDs and DRLs disabled as well;
      Name:  DSC_0762.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  47.4 KB

Last edited by Nickelbawker; 04-21-2019 at 05:20 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickelbawker For This Useful Post:

LateOutDrsMn (03-13-2022)