•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic transmission fluid flush

Thanks
      javeo, the filter is uber easy to change with the pan off, 2 or 3 bolts and it's off. For a gasket, in the absence of any real gasket RTV would be a good choice. Just makes separating the pan a bit more challenging without a gasket, but it shouldn't leak if done right. Personally if I need to chase threads or repair a stripped hole, best to pull the pan off and do it on the bench if you can, to save getting metal bits in the trans. Much easier as well.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the kit Im looking to order has a real gasket..just wasnt sure if I should put sealant on the actual gasket or just install it as is.

And yes, I ended up pulling off the pan before chasing the threads so I was able to get the metal bits. Also cleaned the magnets inside the pan..

Thanks again

Thanks
      You should be good to go, I just put them on dry. no leaks yet. Other members on the site here turned me onto Valvoline synthetic ATF (the one for Toyota/type IV) and both cars are still running and shifting flawless since changing the fluid out. Good stuff!

Thanks
      Im assuming youre referring to Valvoline MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF ?
      From what I gather, their FAQ seems to infer that I dont need to flush the whole system to replace it with Valvo since it's compatible with the current ATF (type IV)? Or is it recommended to replace all the ATF with the new one (Valvo)?

Thanks

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by javeo View Post
      Im assuming youre referring to Valvoline MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF ?
      From what I gather, their FAQ seems to infer that I dont need to flush the whole system to replace it with Valvo since it's compatible with the current ATF (type IV)? Or is it recommended to replace all the ATF with the new one (Valvo)?

Thanks
      It's entirely compatible. You wouldn't be able to change all the fluid anyway, as some of it is in the torque converter.

The Valvo Max is expensive, though. Eventually I plan to replenish with Dexron III as it is much cheaper. The difference is that the !V is a partial synthetic fluid and the previous type III is not.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Thymeclock For This Useful Post:

javeo (04-10-2015)

Thanks
      Yea I think I read one of your other posts regarding DIII, since it's Aisin..good to know.

Thanks all for the replies.

Thanks
      Just wanted to update..

I replaced the transmission filter and pan gasket. Then refilled with GM T-IV fluid.
      On the gasket, I used Permatex gasket sealant (not sure if that was a good idea since it was more like a cement).
      Anyhow, the transmission is now not shifting as smooth as before.. particularly in the lower gears. Im not sure whats causing the problem, but Im considering dropping the pan again and making sure the new filter is not clogged. Then I was planning to refill the 2 or so quarts using Valvoline Maxlife, since the GM fluid is outrageously expensive.

Any feedback is welcome..thanks.

Thanks
      So it feels like a firmer shift, or like it is slipping? We noticed something similar with my orange LS when I did a filter change as you. What was most noticeable was idling in a parking lot the car had a very slight surge, and felt like the trans was slipping. This prompted me to actually 'flush' all the fluid, if for anything because it was rather DARK even after a refill, and I wanted to rule out some funky friction coefficient of the old fluid mixed with the new. After the flush the trans has felt nice and smooth with no sign of slippage or idle surging. YMMV

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 06T200 For This Useful Post:

javeo (04-10-2015)

Thanks
      Hi, yes it feels firmer..like it grabs or jerks a bit..which it didnt do before.
      (note: The fluid was dark after changing out the first 2 quarts with the GM fluid...so far have changed out 4 quarts using GM)

So perhaps I'll just exchange 4 quarts using Maxlife, instead of just the 2 quarts in the pan. Not sure if I want to drop the pan again to check the filter.

Thanks
      Just took it for a drive again..I noticed a clunk sound when downshifting to lower gears...not sure what to make of it.

PS. I checked the fluid and it looks clean so might hold off for a few days, before exchanging it with Maxlife, to see what happens..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast