•  

Thread: 2010 Aveo5 flex pipe replacement - what's the trick?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2010 Aveo5 flex pipe replacement - what's the trick?

Good evening,

Bought a new flex pipe for my kid's 2010 Aveo5 with a bad flex pipe. Found it cheaper to buy the whole pipe than welding in just the new flex section but now, I can't seem to figure out a way to fish the old pipe out/fit the new one in with the space provided. Do I need to drop the PS CV shaft or drop the front subframe to make enough room or am I missing something?

Maybe this is why NOBODY seems to have a link or video with instructions AND why the pipe was so cheap...LOL!

Thanks,

Gregg

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Same issue happened to me a couple years ago with my 2009. I needed to replace the front pipe section with the flex pipe. Bought a new flex pipe section front pipe from GM. But after crawling underneath the car, I realized there is not enough room to swing the pipe over the subframe. In my opinion, the car needs to be elevated on a hoist to get enough room. I think dropping the subframe is a lot of extra work to do something that can be done quickly if it's up on a hoist.

That's my 2 cents.

Deano

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
      Same issue happened to me a couple years ago with my 2009. I needed to replace the front pipe section with the flex pipe. Bought a new flex pipe section front pipe from GM. But after crawling underneath the car, I realized there is not enough room to swing the pipe over the subframe. In my opinion, the car needs to be elevated on a hoist to get enough room. I think dropping the subframe is a lot of extra work to do something that can be done quickly if it's up on a hoist.

That's my 2 cents.

Deano
      Thanks Deano,

Thats the other wrinkle...i have a 2 post lift in my garage and plenty of room for me but same issue. Just looking for experience here before i go pulling the PS wheel assy off to drop the CV shaft. Unless someone has figured out this chinese finger trap of a job and save me a bunch of time and effort, plus more parts i dont need to replace today, i havent found an angle or rotation that works to get the rear flanged end over the subframe and out. Came very close but pipe bend to flex pipe was sitting right against the CV shaft and the other end was riding up on two steel lines mounted to the top of the subframe. Hence why im thinking subframe drop or PS CV shaft taken out to make the room...

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Passenger side shaft has to come out. Learned that when I replaced the oil pan.

Thanks

Thumbs up That's the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Eg.h2o View Post
      Passenger side shaft has to come out. Learned that when I replaced the oil pan.
      Thanks for the insight...just didn't want to go too far for nothing. Popped the strut off the top of the steering knuckle and pulled the PS CV shaft yesterday and, with a little twisting, pulled out the back without too much trouble.