•  

Thread: Wheel sizing help

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Wheel sizing help

For those people who are wondering what size wheels to get, I have some helpful information for you picking sizes and what to expect from those sizes. To start, when it comes to all the types of bumps on the road, springs and shocks help in large bumps like potholes, sudden drops or rises and raised objects off the ground, shocks and springs are meant to travel long distances to absorb the majority of movements you don't feel in your seat. Tires on the other hand give you a better ride over things like rocks, dirt as well as finishing the job of the shocks and springs after they do their work, giving very fine bump absorbtion that the shocks and springs dont absorb.

Getting larger wheels also reduces the amount of rubber your car will have which reduces the above absorbtion (unless you are going for a monster truck look with big wheels AND tires). So it's kind of a sacrifice between comfort and looks (what isn't when it comes to customizing?)

14": Standard on (most) Aveos, they have the most comfortable ride due to the size of the tires, in other words more rubber = more comfort. This size is among the most common wheel sizes due to their extremely wide spread use (virtually all sub compact to economy sized cars come with them standard). Coolness factor is low due to the amount of rubber you see (looks bad), however quite a few tuner teams who street race or do track racing use that size due to the very light weight racing wheels and the very little torque needed to make the wheel revolve once.

15": These wheels are pretty much the same as 14" in every way except for the extra inch, coolness factor is just as low as 14"s, I personally wouldn't reccomend getting 15"s because its not really worth paying more for the same look, and more importantly, 15" wheel and especially tire choices are quite limited since most car companies just drop the extra inch and use the generic 14"s.

16": These wheels are pretty much the half/half wheel choice since they lose just as much tire size as they gain wheel metal. Giving up just as much comfort in exchange for traction and stability. 16" wheels are for people who want a little better look to their cars without sacrificing as much comfort, although the change is not very noticable. The real problem with this choice is the extreme rarity of choices, 16" wheels were made popular in the late 80's and early 90's and quickly died off when compacts became really popular. There are very few good looking 16" wheels and even less tires.

17": The most common and accepted updgrade from 14" wheels primarily because it's the largest wheel size you can get before the circumferences become bigger. The real beauty of sizes 14"-17" is that all the wheel/tire combinations share virtually the same circumferences, which keeps you from having to adjust the spedometer from plus sizes.

18": For those who really want the show car look, 18"s are the best bet, but kiss all riding comfort goodbye, you might as well ride a bull everywhere. Combined with lowering springs and you got yourself a car that feels like a metal sled on concrete. Any size above 17" start to cause problems spedometer wise since they have a larger circumference, it takes a longer time to do one revolution which makes the car's computer believe it's going slower than it is, the bigger the wheel above 17" the more the difference noticed.

19" and up: For the true customizer, the 19" wheel is the holy grail, no other wheel gives you a better look for such a small car (the Aveo Xtreme on the top of the forum has 19"), however without body work to the wheel well as well as the side fenders, driving the car is not only hard but quite dangerous. If you have no body work done to it, you will have critically low wheel travel so run over anything bigger than a few inches and kiss your tires, wheel wells, and side fenders good bye. For the Aveo at least, anything 20" and up is just over kill. The good thing is that 19" wheels are also quite common to find.

"If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      kool, you should do a thread like this for the "deep dish" looking rims, i think its offset (correct me if im wrong), i want deep dish rims and want them to be wider than stock wheels and tires to have more contact.

Thanks
      what size rims would i get to achieve the look that i am talking about?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I assume you are talking about spokes being inside the wheels and not on the outside right? If that's true then there are a few choices out there (I've seen BOOKS of wheels on the market).

The problem is that the Aveo was designed only to fit a certain sized wheel and not any bigger, otherwise 1 of 3 things will happen:

1: The inside of the wheels will rub (or in this case burn) against the shocks, struts or the inside of the wheel wells if they are the front wheels and are turned in either direction (see below).

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/ ... eel001.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/ ... eel003.jpg

In the 1st link, that is the front wheel showing how close it is to the shock absorber bar, my wheels are 7" wide so that leaves about another 1/2"-1" left, however I'd rather not get closer than that so 7" is enough.

The 2nd link is the rear wheel, notice how much closer they are than the fronts (thank goodness they dont turn!)

2: The outside of the wheels will stick out too far from the fenders and might look bad, decrease air efficiency (mabye) and increase the risk of damaging the wheels from curb damage or hitting something ect.

Just be careful about how far deep the spokes go in, where the bolts screw into the wheels in relation to the wheel width and how wide the wheels acutally are.

Not ANY wheel can fit on the Aveo, that's why all cars are designed to fit a limited range of sizes (unless you do some body work to the fenders, wheel wells and shocks.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I bought 15" but that's because I was looking for a wheel that can get me good performance for some track days and still look pretty good. The aveo needs all the help it can get and 12 pound 15" wheels should allow me to not lose any power just to spin a heavy wheel.

Thanks
      hmm...couldnt we get spacers? i want teh wide stance look, it looks really hot on hatchbacks, oh and nice write up. crazy how close they are.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      hmm...couldnt we get spacers? i want teh wide stance look, it looks really hot on hatchbacks, oh and nice write up. crazy how close they are.
      spacers arent safe to run at all

Thanks
      why?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      not good for the hubs or wheel studs

Sweet walkthrough.

And yes, spacers make the hubs work harder to hold up the weight. Simple experiment: hold a book out on a 2x4 plank close to your hand. Now move the book out a little bit farther. Weight didn't change, but it's a hell of a lot more work holding it up.