•  

Thread: Tire Wear and Lower Control Arms (bushings)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Tire Wear and Lower Control Arms (bushings)

I am posting to inform everyone of my experiences with my car over time. I have an 05 Aveo SVM.

Mileage
      35-40K Blew out right front shock....figured that was what the noises were. kept driving.
      Tire wear was normal and looked good.

50-55K second set of tires, tires wearing good.

105K- third set of tires, second set looked horrible, blown shocks everywhere, bushings all needed replacement, swaybar endlinks needed to be replaced, shock mounts done, etc.

Replaced sway bar end links, lower control arms brand new (everything), new shocks, new shock mounts all around, new rear bushings, alignment.

The new front lower control arms I purchased had rubber bushings in them. I am a tire wear nazi and always look at tire wear. I noticed that at 120K the inside of my tires were getting worn, and were wearing quickly. I rotated tires and my passenger side tire was eating the very inside .5-1" of the tire pretty quickly. probably blow the tire in 5-8K miles. I jacked the car up and I could move the wheel a damn good amount and visually see the bushings in the lower control arm were shot.

I would say I got 10-15K miles out of the bushings. complete and udder garbage. I think my lower control arms were made by Dorman or Moog or something?

Anyway, since that is stupid, I want to warn everyone out there that the rubber bushings solution is not a solution. I suggest buying some poly bushings as they will last much longer than these, and you will only suffer once with the install of them if you are faced with a bushing problem.

Whiteline bushings are the ones I went with and you have to push out the old ones. I didn't see any new poly bushings solutions that come installed in the lower control arms. I just installed these and the wheel is solid, they also look like they will last a long time. There is no movement at all to which I am used to seeing, the new rubber bushings had some movement when new, enough to make me question if they are even good when new. I am hoping this fixes my tire wear issues.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lOOkatme For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-21-2015)