•  

Thread: Tire Pressure Moniters

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Tire Pressure Moniters

Is there a way to dissable the system. AKA shut the light off. I do not want this on my car. I think its a worthless piece of information as i have never used it before... AND i have had new tires and wheels on it for a day, and it only came on, on the drive home from work...... So it didnt work anyways... Would it be as easy to just pull the light out of the dash, or is there a fuse somewhere?

I did a search, didnt find anything i needed.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Re: Tire Pressure Moniters

I am sure there is probably a fuse for TPMS, either in the side panel or under the hood.

I personally haven't had any problems with the TPMS in my 08 LT. The only time it came on was when there was more than a 5 pound difference in tire pressure, which to me, helped, When it came on more than once, and I found it was te same tire losing air, I took it to the tire shop and they found a drill bit in one of my tires.
      If in fact it came on only while you were on your way home, after having your tires on for a day, I would suggest you check your pressure. One may be over pressure, or under pressure. The Aveo with stock tires says proper pressure is 34 pounds. I usually keep mine at 38, and check them weekly. the only time TPMS ever came on was when I was losing pressure in the one tire.
      With new tires other posibilities are improper seal, leaking valve stem, and plain old errors in airing the tires up at the tire shop. not to mention hot pressure vs cold pressure.
      Also, if you bought new rims, and they installed the TPMS sensors on the new wheels, they may have fouled one of them up, or improperly installed them.
      If you didn't have TPMS installed on the new wheels, that may be the problem.
      4 wheels, 4 doors, 4 cylinders, 8 speakers, and 1 loose nut on the steering wheel driving the car!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3078012

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Well the issue is that I got a set of free wheels and tires. Don't plan on paying around $50 a sensor, nor do I want to dismount 2 sets of tires so I can get my original set...(if they are reuseable). Then remount and ballance.

Plus, how silly. I realize the set is at home so it will tell the car that the pressures are normal. But I get all the way to work.. (15 miles away) and start driving back, and then it throws a light. Shouldn't it come on immidiatly after the sensors are not in range?

And is this a federaly mandated piece of equiptment? I personally have eyes and a hand held pressure guage. Unless it told me what my pressures where. I don't see the point.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

btw... Personal rant. Others would probably call the moniters a convienience...

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

just curious... can you please tell us what your current tire pressures are for each tire? Please dont cheat and give us the actual number that you get from your handheld gauge.

Oh and don't fully trust the tire shops. I had a tire patched and before leaving, checked the pressure (I do 36 front 34 rear) and it was inflated to 53psi. Visually it looked fine.

On the flip side, my wife had 15psi in her front tires once... visually, it looked fine. Stick with the TPMS it's a good thing to have.

edit: put 24 instead of 34 for the rear... surprised no one said anything.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AutoXChris
      Well the issue is that I got a set of free wheels and tires. Don't plan on paying around $50 a sensor, nor do I want to dismount 2 sets of tires so I can get my original set...(if they are reuseable). Then remount and ballance.

nothings wrong with the system..... i just dont have the sensors on my free set of aftermarket wheels and tires.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Plus, how silly. I realize the set is at home so it will tell the car that the pressures are normal. But I get all the way to work.. (15 miles away) and start driving back, and then it throws a light. Shouldn't it come on immidiatly after the sensors are not in range?
      I'm guessing the TPMS in the aveo is a dumb one, based on the price of the vehicle. It probably waits for the tires to reach a certain temperature, or just waits a certain period of time and then checks the tire pressure. This way it's getting the warm pressure (which will be higher than the cold pressure)... that way it doesn't haven't to be smart enough to realize what pressure it should be at cold and warm.

I'm sure there are smarter systems in more expensive vehicles that use a pressure/temperature map to immediately inform the driver that the pressure is out of range.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

btw... Personal rant. Others would probably call the moniters a convienience...
      i have so many people that come into the gas station and complain how much of a pain in the butt some of the moniter systems are....theyll go off if your only off by 2lbs, so pretty much anytime the temperature changes itll go off...i have a moniter on my 04 aveo, my eyes lol....it was probably just one of those knick knacks that GM wanted to have to look sophisticated, like the hidden tank range on the sedans.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

I suggest you pull the gauge assembly off and pull out the bulb for the sensor indicator. I doubt doing this would affect your car in any way.