•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which rims do you like?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The Kosei's, nice choice.
      http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelClo ... er+Painted
      I like these too in a 15", lower rotateing mass, and a nice 195/50R15. Just my two cents...I'll shut up now

06' Aveo
      07' Liberty
      1973 VW Bug. Full resto. summer toy.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I really do like the first ones (exel's) better... it seems like most of you guys do too.

I was just wondering if the weight was a huge difference... seems like the majority of you say it wont affect it much.

So i think ill probably go with the exels.

of course i'll just get them in spring/when I take my car to the speed shop.
      maybe the price will go down on them too (probably not cause they are already cheap... but i can hope). But hopefully they dont stop carrying them.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ClintCart
      The Kosei's, nice choice.
      http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelClo ... er+Painted
      I like these too in a 15", lower rotateing mass, and a nice 195/50R15. Just my two cents...I'll shut up now
      Those are the exact ones I was gonna say. Alot of SRT guys use them for a drag wheel since they are so light (13lbs IIRC).

Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      BTW, in all honestly, wheel weight does not really matter much if you do something like drag racing. If you do it on a race track, it still doesn't matter UNLESS you're doing 70-90mph around a corner (like a real race car). For an Aveo, even with a turbo, it still wouldn't really affect you, since such speeds are virtually impossible for such a car.
      That does not really make sense. Less rotating mass will always mean more power and faster accelerating. You can literally do 2 diff dyno runs with stockers and those rims and see a HP increase.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      http://news.carjunky.com/automotive/Rot ... Mass.shtml

Before continuing with our informal analysis here, I want to point out something very important about rotational inertia. We’ve all seen the ice skating move where the skater starts spinning. She pulls her arms in and speeds up, then extends them again and slows down. Why is this? Well, the further a mass is from the center of rotation, the faster it must travel for a given angular speed (how many degrees of an arc it traverses per time unit). The faster anything moves, the more energy it has, so when the arms are pulled in, conservation of energy says that the rotation rate must increase due to equal energy being applied to the same mass over a smaller diameter. Applying this to wheels and tires, which have most of their mass spread as far as possible from the rotation center, I think you’ll agree that it naturally takes more energy to accelerate them. Example: Take a two identical masses, but one is a solid disk of diameter D, the other is a ring of diameter 2D. The ring will require more force to accelerate it (in a rotational manner). Therefore a heavier rim with a smaller diameter could have less rotational mass than a lighter rim of a larger size, and accelerate faster with the same force applied.

The effect of rotating mass can be calculated using Moment of Inertia (MOI). MoI is related to not only the mass of the rotating object, but the distribution of that mass around the rotational center. The further from the center, the higher the MoI. The higher the MoI, the more torque required to accelerate the object. The higher the acceleration, the higher the torque required.

Because of this, the weight of rotating mass such as wheels and tires on a car have a bigger effect on acceleration than static weight such as on the chassis on a car. When purchasing new wheels and tires for a performance car, it can be useful to compare the effects of different wheel and tire combinations. This is especially true when considering upgrading to larger wheels or tires on a car.

The use of light-weight alloys in wheels reduces rotational mass. This means that less energy will be required to accelerate the wheel. Given that each pound of rotational mass lost provides an equivalent performance gain as a 10 pound reduction in vehicle weight, the benefits of light alloy wheels on vehicle performance cannot be overlooked.
      For example:
      A reduction in the weight of the rim/tire assembly of 5lbs x 4 (all around the car) is equivalent to a 200lb weight reduction in vehicle weight (thats worth 0.200 in the 1/4 mile)

06' Aveo
      07' Liberty
      1973 VW Bug. Full resto. summer toy.

Still love my daily driver aveosummit's Avatar
      Thanks
      I say go with the excels
      Aveosummit aka "C3Customs"

C3 Testimonials

Bravox Audio - Arc Audio - Stetsom - DLS - GermanMAESTRO - Clarion
      Your Sound is our Quality

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Wait 5-6.5lbs difference between the two wheels and you guys are still going towards the exels?

5lbs is going to make a huge difference, especially in brake fade. Hell with that much weight you'll probably even notice a difference in ride quality (lighter being better). Even with a turbo you might notice the difference in straight line performance.

I've had many sets of wheels, my 14lbs 16" wheels I felt a huge difference in every aspect of performance over my 17" 20lbs wheels. Mostly brake fade, then secondly straight line. Even my 17lbs 17" wheel I noticed a difference over the 20lbs ones and they were wider (more weight on the outside)... couldn't feel it as much if at all in some aspect but braking was still very noticable.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      i would still wait and find lighter ones that you like because on a light car only wieghing 2300 ibs then lighter rims will make a difference as with any car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12