•  

Thread: is rim centerbore important?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

is rim centerbore important?

I want to purchase 15 inch rims for the winter since I got free 195/90/15 winter tires and I was looking at used rims online for cheap, my concern was since the lug nuts are an acorn lug nut on most card is the center-bore really important since tightening the lug nut will pretty much center the wheel on the hub?

also what is there to take in consideration when buying new rims apart from the bolt pattern? most people know the bolt pattern which is 4x100mm which fits my 04 Aveo but no one usually knows the offset or the bore size for that matter, am I taking of big chance of the rims not fitting if I buy rims just cause of the right diameter and right bolt pattern?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the usable offset is between 35-45, depending on the rim width and design (some spoke designs will hit the caliper)

the center bore is 56.6. It is pretty important to have the wheels mounted hub-centrically, you could experience everything from vibration to a wheel shearing the studs, but you might also have absolutely no trouble. But for the $10 hub rings cost is it worth the risk?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Are the lug nuts like on a Volkswagen (the whole bolt comes off)? Mounting the wheel centered on the hub is important on European cars where the wheel bolts come off and you cannot put the wheel back on the bolts like you would do on a japanese or american car, because on European cars it's the hub that centers the wheel, on jap/am the bolts will center your wheel, the hub is like an insurance if you will... It will be important to have the wheel centered on the hub (on jap/am) on offroad rigs or cars that are driven in harsh conditions (where you could snap the bolts off from an impact).

From my experience, that's my 2 cents...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      yes, the hubcentic is important to the aveo. while you might not notice the problems of not being hubcentric. the only thing our lug nuts do is hold the heel against the hub and help in making it spin.. the hub holds up the car inside the wheel.

vw wheels are .5mm or .25mm radius too big. which is an ok tolerance. honda is 56.1 which is too small, the wheels wont even go on.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I think he was also asking if it used wheel bolts or wheel nuts, the aveo has wheel nuts, which thread onto a threaded stud that's in the hub, unlike the VWs where you thread the wheel bolt directly into the hub.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      195/90/15 ? Is that an actual size or a typo? those things would be really really tall.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by exodus0784 View Post
      I think he was also asking if it used wheel bolts or wheel nuts, the aveo has wheel nuts, which thread onto a threaded stud that's in the hub, unlike the VWs where you thread the wheel bolt directly into the hub.
      Ok so no you don't absolutly need to have a wheel that fits perfectly with the hub then, it would be extremely surprising that you would abuse your car enough to break a stud... I used to run wheels with a 1cm gap between the hub and the wheel on my offroad rig and I never broke anything in the trails, you won't see anything as harsh as what my rig did in your car... And it was russian steel which isn't any more solid then korean steel :P

Thanks
      I don't think I would like having a gap between my hub and rim when I'm doing 50MPH or more. How fast did your trail rig go? And how smooth was the ride? I don't see rock crawlers worrying about smooth rides and high speeds.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The studs are already centering your wheel. It's important to have wheels that are centered by the hub on a car that uses wheel bolts (like German cars) unlike the Aveo that uses wheel studs. I used my offroading example because it shows that the studs and the wheel can take a huge load of abuse before they bend (I actually jumped this car once!) so on a car that stays on the road and that uses studs there is absolutely no reason to worry about breaking anything or having vibration resulting from having a wheel that doesn't have the same center bore as what is on your car originally. I sold Volkswagen wheels to my friend who drives a Civic and she never had any problem and the gap between the hub and the wheel is bigger then what it is between an Aveo and a VW. Oh and I did go as fast as 70 mph in my offroad rig on the highway without experiencing any vibration As rabbit said, you can buy hub rings to take care of that, personally I wouldn't even bother (in fact, I won't bother because this summer I have VW wheels going on my Aveo!)

Thanks
      Ok, I see what you are saying, I missed something when I read that the first time.

2008 Aveo5 SV