•  

Thread: Rear spring installation issues

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Rear spring installation issues

Ok, so I finally got around to trying to replace the springs. Started with the back. Got the stock springs out with strut spring compressors (the one I saw in khan4rtist's how-to), but upon trying to put the new spring in, the compressor is bumping up against the bottom perch. Since it's flared, the threaded part of the compressor hits, and I can't get the bottom of the spring in place on it's little perch.

After all this, I went back to AutoZone and got one of their coil spring compressors, but I don't see how it would work, since there's a hole on the bottom perch, but not on the top spring mount. So I'm F'd either way. Am I missing something? Everything I've read has said it's easy, and I've spent about 5 hours looking at this one spring confused.

Thanks guys

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: Rear spring installation issues

honestly, when i did my rears i didnt use a spring compressor, unbolt the strut and let everything fall as far down as it can and then just use a lil bit of muscle.

actually i didnt use a spring compressor on my car at all for the fronts i just laid a huge ass log over the spring and slowly unbolted the top bolt. had a piece of plywood and foam set up right in front of it so when the nut came flyin off it wouldnt go into the neighbors windows or somewhere lost forever...
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i dont use spring compressors at all. front or rear...

in the back have someone heavy stand on the drum, they will put enough weight on the suspension for you to put the spring in. did you take out the bottom shock bolt? that will allow the axle to swing down enough to have plenty of room to put the spring in. do both sides a,d let the axle "fall" then put the springs in place and jack it back up to replace the shock bolts..

in the front i just put the bottom of the strut in the grass, and with two hands holding the impact, lob the nut off. the only thing that ever happens is the strut falls over and the spring falls.. nothing ever shot anywhere. nothing like that.. but you need to know the order the pieces go together.. if you don't already know that, you might no be able to figure it out..

putting stock springs back on in front i usually need the compressor though. but i can usually lean into the lowering springs enough to start the threads on the strut...

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

I have a rear spring and shock how-to on my cardomain, and here as well I think...

yeah, here's the link to my thread on this viewtopic.php?f=22&t=785&p=6866&hilit=rear#p6866
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, i took the shock bolt out, and the whole thing is dangling, but I only lifted one side. Should I lift both sides of the car, jack stand them, and let the axle dangle? I didn't really think about that. Maybe the axle with lower more if both sides are unbolted.

Seriously? It's possible to get the springs in without a compressor? Holy crap. I don't know if I'm that strong. I'll give it a shot.

Oh, and all of this is being done without power tools. Yay. Sore arms are fantastic. At least my left arm is fairly strong from, um, nevermind.

Thanks again for the suggestions. As soon as I get a ride home from work, I'll see what I can see!

Thanks

I just wanted to thank you guys again. I got home, took the compressors off, jacked up the other side, pushed down real hard on the brake, and the spring just slid right in. Doh! You all rock!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i guess we don't need to answer the questions in the post above then..

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks

sorry for the late reply, but you were supposed to jack up both sides at the same time and then unbolt the torsion beam

Thanks

I haven't had a chance to take pictures during the day, but here's a quick cell phone pic of the results. Remember that's with a fairly hefty load (system) in the hatch.