•  

Thread: Looking to improve ride comfort.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Looking to improve ride comfort.

I would like to improve the ride quality of my 2004 Aveo. I do a lot of driving around on old country roads which are pretty heinous, but even here in OKC the roads tend to be pretty sub-par. I am not concerned with corning or performance. I would like to maintain the stock ride height for safety reasons (don't want to increase the odds of wedging myself under an SUV if things go south), but I am not completely opposed to it if it'll yield a super comfy ride.

I am willing to consider suspension options, which make the most sense. My tires only have a year(ish) left on them, so I am open to getting new tires if they are superior to what the dealer sells (got them for like 60 bucks each).

On a side note, I can't believe I don't see more complaints about the ride comfort. Maybe mine is broken?
      Anyways. Let me know!

Thanks
      Welcome to the site!

What don't you like about the ride? Too stiff, too bouncy?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      honestly, mine rides better than my sister in laws 2009 cobalt. it feels about as "harsh" as my wifes minivan most of the time on the same road surface. The issue is its such a small car it easily get thrown around, like on our wavy super paved sections of highway.

What is your definition of ride quality? your not going to get cadillac like ride, its not heavy enough or designed anyway near the same.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I like the ride quality of my 04 hatch, but like petrified said, you arent going to have the cloud like ride a bigger car gets. I have a 1983 Caprice wagon which along with the overstuffed bench seat and monroe replacement shocks produces an amazing ride, my wife falls asleep in the passenger seat all the time. My complaint has always been road noise, I think the Aveo would be more comfy if you didnt hear every pebble and stick that you run over. that said, its an economy A-B car, If you want comfy, I would just put new shocks on, thats what really dampens and absorbs the road.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if you put some dynamat on the inner rear wheel wells, it will quiet down.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Ill, have to try it, half of the problem is that I have 4 dogs, and I always have the back seat down so they have alot of room to walk around. if youve ever driven with the back seat down, you can probably verify that road noise echos even more. I have a 10 min work commute, so Im not complaining, just if I would have to complain about the aveo ride quality, thats what it would be

Thanks
      This may sound weird but the one reason I still love driving my aveo is the ride and how I get feedback from the road thru the car. While sometimes I wish I didn't have lowering springs when I hit a pot hole.

Thanks
      I was just saying the same thing last night and was told the same thing! lol My 05 aveo feels like a go cart cause i feel every dimple in the road. Being 6 1/2 years i might replace the shocks with in the next month, just to be sure.