•  

Thread: Frustrated, Need Help/Advice Trailing arm Bushing Removal (Bolt)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Frustrated, Need Help/Advice Trailing arm Bushing Removal (Bolt)

Alright, I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. I have done suspension work and built an RX7, and Prelude.

I am changing my rear trailing arm bushings myself. I have the nuts off the rear trailing arm bushing bolts, but I cannot get the passenger side bolt out. It is hitting the gas tank and has the entire threaded portion to go. So probably another 3/4" to inch. Keep in mind the bolt is at an angle to the gas tank. I still have the shocks bolted up and could easily remove them if needed but I don't see how this could help much? I removed the drivers side trailing arm bolt and it is just hanging there. I am using the jack to try and manipulate the bolt to get a little better angle to remove the bolt out if needed, but no luck.

Should I remove the lower bolts on the shocks and try to manipulate more? Any tricks of removing the passenger side trailing arm bolt? Anyone else experience this problem? Do I need to take more extreme measures and dent the gas tank a little to remove the bolt? I am getting frustrated, cause this car isn't exactly a high quality easy to work on car.

Rant below

I even have had a tough time breaking the bolts on the lower control arm since I am replacing that. And the top strut....had to order a special tool to get a 19MM nut loose while holding the strut rod at the same time. This car makes all other cars I have worked on look like brilliant robust designs.

Thanks
      Alright, I guess I need to remove the floor board bolts when reading another thread. Are these bolts accessible from the bottom of the car or from the trunk?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the should be on the bracket going up into the floor. and yes, you need to remove those.

Thanks
      Alright, dropped the bracket and all is good in the rear.

I am now going to replace the front lower control arms. I have the front bolt loose, and I need to remove the tie rod.

I am having a hell of a time removing the two rear bolts that go through a bushing into the welded on nut. I snapped a 1/2" 17MM socket already.

So should I try the freeze off spray stuff? or go straight to the heat with map gas?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      if you heat the nut side, heat typically works. since your replacing the bushing there is no harm in using the heat.

Thanks
      I took the car in to get the front A arm two vertical bolts out. The bolts are seized to the bushing and are being cut off. I replaced the rear bushings in the trailing arm and wasn't too bad. Hacksawing the sleeves out of the trailing arms is a f-ing b-tich though. I give this car the title of being a huge PITA to work on.