•  

Thread: 256mm. disc brakes into T200 Kalos

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

256mm. disc brakes into T200 Kalos

So, one of the worst aspects of my car is than the performance of the brakes are quite poor, and that forces me to drive defensively to avoid scary situations.

I have seen than the T250 Aveo, which is almost the same car, uses 256 mm. discs instead of the 236 mm. of my Kalos, and I'm guessing than that change should improve the brake performance in my car.

What I would like to know, if anyone knows about it, is which parts of the T250 would I need to do the upgrade.

I'm guessing than I would need discs and probably also calipers, but do I need something more?

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      If the brake system is up to snuff, they are actually very good. If your discs and drums are old, or even original I would recommend either replacing or having them turned. Believe it or not there is a slight roughness on good/new drums and rotors that gets worn away as the brake system ages. When that happens your brakes will take MUCH longer to bring the vehicle to a stop.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eg.h2o For This Useful Post:

johanbrandon (02-01-2024)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      My brakes have been always kind of innefective, even when the brake pads were newer...

The Citroën ZX which I had before was also kind of sluggish braking, but the Honda CR-Z which I had a few years ago was great in that aspect.

I understand than hoping to get the same behaviour from the Kalos is hopeless, but any improvement would be apreciated.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Enxebre View Post
      My brakes have been always kind of innefective, even when the brake pads were newer...

That’s why I mentioned the rotor discs and drums. You will never get full braking power when you only change the pads or shoes. The discs and drums need to be redressed as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eg.h2o For This Useful Post:

johanbrandon (02-03-2024)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      That's the thing... If I put new rotors, I would like to put bigger ones, and if it I don't need to create adapters, or drilling new or bigger holes, is something I'm willing to do.

That's why I would like to know if someone had any clue about it, but it doesn't seem the case...

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Eg.h2o View Post
      If the brake system is up to snuff, they are actually very good. If your discs and drums are old, or even original I would recommend either replacing or having them turned. Believe it or not there is a slight roughness on good/new drums and rotors that gets worn away as the brake system ages. When that happens your brakes will take MUCH longer to bring the vehicle to a stop.
      there is no "roughness" on new drums. You don't need to change them unless you clearly see they went bent, cracked, or worn not equally.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Drums and rotors over time can get “glazed” which will make them too smooth and lower the stopping ability. Yes there is a “roughness” to new rotors and drums. Take a soft rag to them when new and you will feel snagging. Here is a simple explanation.
      https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.co...-rotor-finish/
      just think of trying to stop your car on black ice compared to dry concrete.
      smoother is better…..to a point.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Hello did you ever find out if the 256mm fit the car ? I have an 08 aveo with the 236 mm disks and i would like to upgrade to the 256 mm but I can't seem to find anything on them.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Thumbs up

yes i would recommend to replace your brakes it is the safest thing for you and for others on the road