•  

Thread: Window tint removal

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Window tint removal

Can or has anyone removed window tint on their Aveo? Mine is now almost 6 years old, and is faded, in my eyes. It isnt that ugly purple, it is just faded from years in the hot Fla. sun. I want to get new, but now every tint company wants from $50-99 to just remove old tint, and the new tint is $125-150. I have never had a charge for tint removal, guess every company finds a way to pull in more money. My tint is in perfect condition, not all bubbles and rips or scratches, the price for new tint is fine, but removal is now charged..and that a lot of money! Is that the same all over the country, or is it just here in south Fla.? Will it just pull off in one sheet and then I just have to clean up some residue, or am I in for a major mess, and I should pay the price and let some company do it? All the cars and trucks I have had tinted, well over 25 in my life, and now they charge for removal! The price of tint has barely changed, but man, now some want nearly as much to remove the old tint. THAT is new. So...anyone have practical experience in removing it themselves? Was it a horror, or easy as removing cling wrap off a bowl? I know the hatch with the window defogger on it would/will be very dicey, maybe leave that to them, but I would think I could remove the rest, and then get new DARK tint again. I cant really afford it for another month or two, but IF I can remove the current tint, it would save a BIG chunk of cash. Any stories or hints would be great. Thanks

Last edited by FlaAveo5; 09-16-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      its pretty frustrating ill tell ya that much, get some go-gone, or some paint thinner and a couple exact o knives and just go to town.. lol you'll probly peel the tint off just fine but then you'll be left with the glue all over the window.

if you put the blade all the way out and kinda lay it as flat as you can on the window you should be able to scrape all of that off though takes time thats for sure

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i would pay to remove it for $50..

its messy. time consuming, and how well you do it will affect how well the new tint goes on. plus, you risk destroying your rear defroster lines.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      i would pay to remove it for $50..

its messy. time consuming, and how well you do it will affect how well the new tint goes on. plus, you risk destroying your rear defroster lines.
      Most of the window tint companies are closer to the $99 range, a few higher than that. I cant even remember the $50 one...but the total seems to run in the $200 range for removal and new tint. Is that Fla. or is that all over the country?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      florida is generally cheaper for the quality than up here.. honestly, the last couple times i went down and saw the prices there i attempted to get my car done when i got back.. it was a lot more expensive.