•  

Thread: Wanting to install amp with RCA's and wiring etc

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Wanting to install amp with RCA's and wiring etc

Hi all
      I'm slowly building the sound system up in my 2010 TK Barina / Aveo and want to know if anyone has suggestions of the best way to get my amp's wiring through the fire wall and out to the battery and also the easiest, best and quickest spot to run the rca cables along under the carpet ? ( drivers side - passenger side - down the centre maybe... )
      Also too, the amp will crank harder into a 2 ohm load however I only want to run the one sub so is there anyway I can wire up the sub, maybe with a resistor wired into it, to have the amp see only a 2 ohm load as opposed to a 4 ohm load

I've got 6 and 3/4 inch 70w RMS splits in the front, rears to be replaced soon and a 12 inch sub in boot with an old school rockford fosgate USA made amplifier running it. Running off a Sony CDX-GT300MP head unit.
      I'll include some photos of the various bits n pieces soon. I have loaded a video on youtube of the front splits installation.
      This can be found by searching 'installing speakers into Holden Barina' - or click this link here

http://youtu.be/0u4NvCj1LYc

i'll add more to youtube as I go.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
      cheers and all the best and keep up this freakin' awesome forum - it ROCKS !!!!!!

Last edited by GrantDavenportPhotography; 07-16-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Spelling errors prior

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by GrantDavenportPhotography View Post
      Hi all
      I'm slowly building the sound system up in my 2010 TK Barina / Aveo and want to know if anyone has suggestions of the best way to get my amp's wiring through the fire wall and out to the battery and also the easiest, best and quickest spot to run the rca cables along under the carpet ? ( drivers side - passenger side - down the centre maybe... )
      Manual or auto trans? sedan or hatchback? I ran my rcas and power cable right under the floormats/seats

Quote Originally Posted by GrantDavenportPhotography View Post
      Also too, the amp will crank harder into a 2 ohm load however I only want to run the one sub so is there anyway I can wire up the sub, maybe with a resistor wired into it, to have the amp see only a 2 ohm load as opposed to a 4 ohm load
      No.

Thanks
      It's a manual hatch

when you say about running under the floor mats, do you mean you actually ran it under the carpet itself or just the removable floor mats ?
      i thought about running it just under the mats but with small kids in the rear of the car, I was worried the cords will be constantly getting trodden on, yanked around etc and also I wanted a nice factory fitted finished look

Thanks
      Also how about getting the wiring through the back of the dash board and out to the battery - any suggestions for a hole in the firewall somewhere ???Cheers and all help and info greatly appreciated Grant

Thanks
      My firewall suggestion is related to the manual or auto question. Manual trans makes it easy. Get up in under your dash, and follow the shifter linkage. It goes through a rubber boot in the firewall. Punch a hole with a flathead screwdriver in that. Then tape on the power wire to a long screwdriver and force it through the hole

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      when i did my fog lights, i ran it out with the wiring harness, it goes into the pillar then runs along the fender well. then i brought it around to the battery. its stealth, no big wire running through the engine bay. It follows the factory wiring, which is good for the wires life expectancy. and there is no additional holes for a potential water leak in the future.

Thanks
      That's awesome info' buddy thanks heaps

One last question - the RCA's and running under the matts versus under the carpet ?
      cheers and thanking you in advance
      Last edited by GrantDavenportPhotography; 07-17-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks
      Oh yeah mine are just under the floor mats and not the carpet. I have people in the back all the time with no issues. Wires are totally covered by seats and mats

Thanks
      Yeah I'm thinking I might just put them under the mats out of the way. because going under the carpet is a hassle even though ot looks more professional.
      one thing though, when you mounted your amp, did you mount it in the boot or under the seats somewhere ? Do you have a preference either way ? ( I guess that depends a little on the amp's overall height too)
      umder the seat at least means less cables going back to the sub box in the rear however it's quickee and easier to mount the amp kn the sub box all in the back. Just means should one need the boot space for a long road trip, it's harder and slower to remove the box if the amps all hook up with multiple wiring running off everywhere

Thanks
      I just bolted my amps onto the sub box. No boot space for me... lol