•  
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Proposed 2008 Aveo5 system

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Proposed 2008 Aveo5 system

Quote Originally Posted by PittViper
      I have the 2 piece old dash. I have the two seperate trim pieces. When I go to the chevy dealer, what piece(s) do I say I need?
      Tell them what you need by describing it radio bezel/surround/finish panel, they should be able to show you a picture and tell you what they call it.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I have now a few more observations/questiions that you can help me with.

Crutchfield sent me the new install kit and wiring harness. The wiring harness was correct, but they sent me a double din sized install kit.

Here are my concerns/problems.

I did make it "work" to install the hu. The install kit consisted of two side plates, and a front rectangular trim piece, double din sized, plus a smaller trim piece for the hu. I had sever problems getting this to install correctly, and it is still not as I would like it to be, although I tried twice.

First off, the hu came with a din cage to slide the radio into. I could find no way to use it and still use the istall kit; just would not fit.

Also, there is no way to securely mount the hu trim ring on without it popping off when you fold down the face plate to insert cd, which I llike to do on occasion. So basically, I am not using the hu trim ring.

Next, it was a double din install kit, and did NOT come with the empty tray piece that was origionally part of the dash. I just slid the one that came with the first kit they sent me into the spot, but it was a little too small, so I unscrewed the one from the stock hu/cubby hole assembly and used that. Fits better but is not secured. Can be pulled out by handl.

If you didn't know something was supposed to be there, like the hu trim ring, you would generally think it is ok. My gf thinks it looks fine, but I know better and to me it has a somewhat "unfinished" look.

Any advice or comments on anything I have said? Let me know. Tell me how you guys installed your hu's properly.

Also, I do hear an improvement in sound powering things now with the alpiine hu, but the 6.5's up front do not produce the low level I was expecting. I had to set the bass center frequency to 80uhz and set the hpf to 80 hz to keep them from bottoming out/distorting.

I still plan on getting the pdx-5 amp, cash willing, and was wondering if I will get even fuller sound with the 75w per channel as opposed to the 18 I am using now. It is hard to make a listening decision without actually listening to it!!

Perhaps I have missed asking an important question or two, if so, let me know!

I can't wait to hear your responses.

Ciao for now...

Viper

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i think they sent you an 07 sedan kit, it would have the correct wiring, but the wrong dash adepter (double din instead of single). It seems to happen with crutchfield and out cars, this is not the first time. I would ask for the correct kit by telling them you need the same install kit as an earlier car. but just the plastics. its their fault for how much they advertise customer satisfaction and all that they should send it to you.

the 6.5 are not really going to give you a lot of bas, they are only 6.5it will be more than stock, but nothing compared to a subwoofer. more power might help get more base sound out of them if they are rated high.

i'm not an audio expert. but i can say if you were looking for more range of sound you have to have the range of speakers to produce it.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

this is the kit you need Call them and get them to send it ASAP

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120997951/ ... r-Kit.html

This is really simple with the right kit. You paid for it so get the right one and the trim ring is an important detail.

If you think the 6.5s are bad imagine what the 4s would be like. They will sound better with an amp.

My suggestion is if you are short on cash, buy a cheap amp and sub to get the sound you want. You can always swap the amp out later as funds permit. I would buy that 100 dollar RF sub if it is still available and a 100-120 4 channel amp. gets you in the game

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Now I want to ask some preliminary install questions. In the near future, hopefully, I will be getting the alpine pdx-5 amp, rf p1l-1x12 sub, and all associated wiring.

But, before the install question, here is a BIG question: Buying from Crutchfield or not? I can get the pdx-5 $120.00 cheaper from sonicelectronix and add a 12" sub instead of the 10" proposed sub, plus all associated wiring for ~130.00 cheaper from sonic. The way I see it, the only thing I won't have is the superior support from crutchfield. But, since I found this site, I figure I can ask all of my questions here. What do you guys think. This is a difference between ~$710.00 and ~$865.00. This a big difference to me.

What are your experiences with sonic? I want to have my system finished by the end of summer, but saving the additional money will push me further away.

thanks, viper

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PittViper
      Now I want to ask some preliminary install questions. In the near future, hopefully, I will be getting the alpine pdx-5 amp, rf p1l-1x12 sub, and all associated wiring.

But, before the install question, here is a BIG question: Buying from Crutchfield or not? I can get the pdx-5 $120.00 cheaper from sonicelectronix and add a 12" sub instead of the 10" proposed sub, plus all associated wiring for ~130.00 cheaper from sonic. The way I see it, the only thing I won't have is the superior support from crutchfield. But, since I found this site, I figure I can ask all of my questions here. What do you guys think. This is a difference between ~$710.00 and ~$865.00. This a big difference to me.

What are your experiences with sonic? I want to have my system finished by the end of summer, but saving the additional money will push me further away.

thanks, viper
      Only positive so far. I bought my head unit, all my speakers (I got the installation kit and wiring harness for free), then a double-din head unit for my dad's Aveo... No issues whatsoever. They offer warranty through square trade.

I would recommend them. And what exactly do you mean by "superior support from Crutchfield? I guess I just never had to deal with them, but I had a professional installer buddy of mine help me with everything, so didn't need it anyways. As a matter of fact, he was the one who suggested the site.

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234