•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed 2008 Aveo5 system

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Proposed 2008 Aveo5 system

Thanks to your input I have made some decisions. I will lay out my proposed system, subject to change, lol, for you to comment on and criticize. If you have positive or negative comments, please let me know. I will be buying most all of the equipment from crutchfield, except the 4" rear speakers which I couldn't find on their website, 1" spacer which I also couldn't find, and the sub, which I also could not find there.

Here goes:

Electronics:

Alpine CDA-9886 CD Reciever
      Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack
      Alpine PXA-H100 Imprint Processor

Speakers:

Front: Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5"
      Rear: Infinity Reference 4032cf 4"
      Sub: Infinity Basslink II

Again, this is a proposed system, and the components subject to change the most are the speakers. I wanted to keep the system as simple to wire and install as possible, as I don't have much experience doing this and I don't want to tear the car apart and not be able to put it back together. I also am most interested in accuracy and sq, not spl. Many of you will disagree with the Basslink II choice, and if so, let me hear it and why, and what you would suggest.

I hope to hear from many of you.

Ciao,

Viper

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Re: Proposed 2008 Aveo5 system

Quote Originally Posted by PittViper
      Electronics:

Speakers:

Pretty good stuff here. Alpine is excellent and Infinity makes good speakers. I might go a little different route if I were you. With the components you selected I would loose the power pack for a real 4 channel amp, something like a PDX 4.100 and replace the basslink with a regular component sub box by say rockford fosgate.

I would run the front 6.5" off of channels 1&2 on the amp and bridge 3&4 for the sub. Then run the rears off of the HU since they are only 4" anyways.

This is not a super system or a "high end", but will give you an excellent sound and plenty of it for a decent price.
      The Aveo is probably the easiest car to do an audio upgrade so you should be fine, and crutchfield will provide good documentation.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply,

Can you provide any links to the proposed equipment you suggested? Also, I am not very good with wiring the amp, and don't know very much about sub boxes. I like your comments. If you can point me in the right direction on crutchfield, and provide some installation advice, I would appreciate it. Also, I have half of the hatch filled with a plastic box containing the junk I usually carry in my car, so I only have half of the hatch left. I liked the basslink becuase it would fit in this space. Where would I mount the 4 channel amp? Also, in case of emergency, if I had to get to the spare tire in the hatch, that is a necessity. I need something that I could fold down the rear seats and move the sub assembly on the seats, then get to the spare tire.

Please get back to me, I am very interested.

Viper

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I like the pdx series amps, and think that might work. But, I looked into the rf subs, and they are VERY expenssive. I see the punch series 2 12" dual voice coil is pretty much all I can afford at around 150.00. What box will I need? How do you wire the amp to the subs? please let me know.

viper

Thanks

Can't beat this price for a sub

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1L110/ ... tml?tp=112

Can't beat this amp, although it is pricy, you can get a good amp much cheaper

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_500P ... l?tp=35782

The amp is simple to wire. There is a grommet in the firewall already to pass the amp wire through. It is simple and you will be happier.

Let me know if I can help.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Thanks aveorob, you pointed me in the direction of some great products. This will be the first time ever that I have done any installation on this level. My other very smalll systems, purchased from crutchfield, just basically consisted of a head unit and the wiring harness they send you for your car. Looking at your proposed system, I see I will have to run seperate speaker wire on my own from the amp to the front and sub. As proposed, I would power the rear with the hu. At the risk of sounding totally clueless, how would I get the speaker wire from the amp to the front speakers, in the doors? And, hide all of the wires. I love the proposed system. Plan on this being the last bit of serious components I ever buy. Plan on keeping this car for a while! But, as I stated earlier, I was trying to avoid tearing the car apart, unless you could tell me it really wont be that bad!

In the past, I have had two previous cars professionally installed with systems. They were great systems, they must have torn the car apart to run and hide all of those wires. I had a VW GTI installed with 3 amps, all rf, dynaudio front stage speakers, eclipse rear fill speakers, and one 10" PPI flat piston sub in custom ported enclosure. The installl was superb. Not a wire to be seen that wasn't covered in a black tube, forget what that is called. But, this system was when I had that kind of money. I realistically don't now, that is why I am doing everything by myself. And, given my budget, this alpine amp, albeit undoubtedly being very clean, is throwing me a bit over my budget. But, the former "audiophile" in me does know good sound. And, I couldn't agree with you more on the amp choice. I don't like noise.

Also, the rf sub is single voice coil from what I read. Again, at my own risk, I have to ask, how do you wire two channels of the amp to it? I have never done this kind of wiring myself, and I will need some help in the amp wiring, actually whole system wiring department.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Viper

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Also, does crutchfield sell the 1" spacer for the front? I can't find it. I am trying to complete my cart.

Thanks

Looking at your proposed system, I see I will have to run seperate speaker wire on my own from the amp to the front and sub. As proposed, I would power the rear with the hu. At the risk of sounding totally clueless, how would I get the speaker wire from the amp to the front speakers, in the doors? And, hide all of the wires.
      Well the right way would be to run new wire from the amp to the speakers in the doors. There is a molex connector to pass though that is a pain. If you want to cheat a little and not hack the car, run the wires to the HU and cut the harness crutchfield will give you, not the car harness, but the adapter and tap into the existing wiring that goes to the speakers already. This is not the best way as the gauge of the wire is probably 18 and a little thin, but will work will minimal effort. Just run the new wire under the carpet and along the door sill.

I love the proposed system. Plan on this being the last bit of serious components I ever buy. Plan on keeping this car for a while! But, as I stated earlier, I was trying to avoid tearing the car apart, unless you could tell me it really wont be that bad!
      It's not bad at all. Just clips and screws for most of the parts. Very simple.

Also, the rf sub is single voice coil from what I read. Again, at my own risk, I have to ask, how do you wire two channels of the amp to it? I have never done this kind of wiring myself, and I will need some help in the amp wiring, actually whole system wiring department.
      No problem, you bridge 2 channels from the amp, so for example if using channels 3&4 you place the positive lead to the positive of channel 3 and the negative lead to the negative of channel 4. This will add the 2 channels together

OK alot of questions, hope this helps

Thanks

Also, does crutchfield sell the 1" spacer for the front? I can't find it. I am trying to complete my cart.
      http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003SG600DX ... rsal&ssi=0

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Thanks to your input I have made some decisions. I will lay out my proposed system, subject to change, lol, for you to comment on and criticize. If you have positive or negative comments, please let me know. I will be buying most all of the equipment from crutchfield, except the 4" rear speakers which I couldn't find on their website, 1" spacer which I also couldn't find, and the sub, which I also could not find there.

Here goes:

Electronics:

Speakers:

Again, this is a proposed system, and the components subject to change the most are the speakers. I wanted to keep the system as simple to wire and install as possible, as I don't have much experience doing this and I don't want to tear the car apart and not be able to put it back together. I also am most interested in accuracy and sq, not spl. Many of you will disagree with the Basslink II choice, and if so, let me hear it and why, and what you would suggest.

I hope to hear from many of you.

Ciao,

Viper
      Viper,

I went with Infinity Reference and love them. I went with 4" in the front and 4x6 in the back. Crutchfield says they won't fit, but with a little bit of clipping stuff off to make it about the same shape as the stock speaker mounting plate shape I got it to fit back there with no problems. And the RMS is a little higher on those... Plus, if you're upsizing the front speakers and downsizing the rear... That might throw your sound off a little bit... it will be "front-heavy" If you can say that about the sound. I'd go with 6.5 in the front but stay with 4x6 in the back...

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast