•  

Thread: New Speakers for 2008 Aveo5 LS

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

New Speakers for 2008 Aveo5 LS

I am installing a whole new system in my Aveo. I am buying everything from crutchfield, albeit at a somewhat higher price, except for the speakers, which crutchfield doesn carry.

My first question here is this: Are the speakers in the rear 6.5 inches? I planned on putting 6.5in MB Quart coaxials in the rear, and 4in MB Quart coaxials in the front doors. Will I need adapter brackets to put the 6.5's in the rear, and if so, will they come with the speakers or does crutchfield selll them.

Thanks for answering my first post. There will be many more to come...

Ciao...

PittViper

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Re: New Speakers for 2008 Aveo5 LS

The rear speakers are a 4x6. I think crutchfield recommends replacing with a 4" and an adapter. I would replace the 4" in the front door with some 6.5". There are plenty of threads about this. No matter what 4" you put in there it will sound like crap cause it is just a 4" speaker. Do a search, there should be a lot on this topic.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      The rear speakers are a 4x6. I think crutchfield recommends replacing with a 4" and an adapter. I would replace the 4" in the front door with some 6.5". There are plenty of threads about this. No matter what 4" you put in there it will sound like crap cause it is just a 4" speaker. Do a search, there should be a lot on this topic.
      I know this might just be a matter of opinion, but I have to disagree with AveoRob. I installed some Infiniti 4" in the front and Infiniti 4x6 (with a little modification to the 4x6 bracket to fit in the place of stock 4x6's) and they do a very good job giving me very good highs and mids, and the 10" PolkMOMO takes care of the rest. More than enough for the little space in the car. And I don't know why crutchfield suggests that you downsize in the back... from the description of most speakers it looks like 4x6 usually has higher RMS and peak outputs...

So if you're not running a sub in your system - up the size in the front to 6.5" with a 1" spacer (for a better bass output). If not - 4" won't need any modification since you already have the mounting bracket for it in the front door.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      I know this might just be a matter of opinion, but I have to disagree with AveoRob. I installed some Infiniti 4" in the front and Infiniti 4x6 (with a little modification to the 4x6 bracket to fit in the place of stock 4x6's) and they do a very good job giving me very good highs and mids, and the 10" PolkMOMO takes care of the rest. More than enough for the little space in the car. And I don't know why crutchfield suggests that you downsize in the back .
      Probably because you had to hack off some of your panel to get them to fit as you stated in another thread. Crutchfield will recommend what will fit without modification, if you are gonna modify, anything will fit.

So if you're not running a sub in your system - up the size in the front to 6.5" with a 1" spacer (for a better bass output). If not - 4" won't need any modification since you already have the mounting bracket for it in the front door.
      So you are telling me that a 4" speaker has the frequency range of a 6.5"? I think the 6.5" speaker mod is one of the best bang for your buck mods on the Aveo, and it is not really a mod, you just add a spacer. Believe me I put aftermarket 4" speakers in first, and they just don't have it.

BTW sonicelectronic is grey market....buyer beware.

Thanks

I know this might just be a matter of opinion, but I have to disagree with AveoRob. I installed some Infiniti 4" in the front and Infiniti 4x6 (with a little modification to the 4x6 bracket to fit in the place of stock 4x6's) and they do a very good job giving me very good highs and mids, and the 10" PolkMOMO takes care of the rest. More than enough for the little space in the car. And I don't know why crutchfield suggests that you downsize in the back .
      Probably because you had to hack off some of your panel to get them to fit as you stated in another thread. Crutchfield will recommend what will fit without modification, if you are gonna modify, anything will fit.

BTW sonicelectronic is grey market....buyer beware.
      Well, clipping some of the mounting bracket - I don't call that much modifications. Moving stuff around and fabricating a bracket to fit some 6x9's back there - that would be real modification IMO... but that's just it, my opinion.

And I've already purchased stuff from sonicelectronix twice (about 400$ worth the first time and around $135 second time)... received all my stuff and very happy with it. It got recommended to me by one of the cartoys ex-installers. He worked for cartoys, circuit city (until they closed here), VTR - you name it. Does his research. And it's not always the best price (I know that some sales on crutchfield actually let you save a few bucks over their price) but I found them to be cheaper than many other places. They're like a discount tire of audio/video for cars... Did you have a bad experience with them? If so - please do tell.

Thanks

Oh, by the way, never said that the range is the same on 4" and 6.5"... just said that 4" was plenty enough for me. They give me enough high and mids.... and hi/lo pass takes care of the rest.... And it's just a discussion AveoRob, don't get upset over it.

Thanks

And I've already purchased stuff from sonicelectronix twice (about 400$ worth the first time and around $135 second time)... received all my stuff and very happy with it. It got recommended to me by one of the cartoys ex-installers. He worked for cartoys, circuit city (until they closed here), VTR - you name it. Does his research. And it's not always the best price (I know that some sales on crutchfield actually let you save a few bucks over their price) but I found them to be cheaper than many other places. They're like a discount tire of audio/video for cars... Did you have a bad experience with them? If so - please do tell.
      No I didn't have a bad experience with them, just the fact that the poster was looking at Alpine equipment and sonic is not alpine authorized, are they? Please correct me if I am wrong. What that means is that there is no manufacturer's warranty because it is gray market. There is a lot about this out there so I won't go into detail. I am not saying don't buy it, I just said buyer beware, know what you are getting for that cheap price.

For instance you mentioned Circuit city closed, if you bought from them and they were authorized, alpine would honor the warranty.

Thanks

No I didn't have a bad experience with them, just the fact that the poster was looking at Alpine equipment and sonic is not alpine authorized, are they? Please correct me if I am wrong. What that means is that there is no manufacturer's warranty because it is gray market. There is a lot about this out there so I won't go into detail. I am not saying don't buy it, I just said buyer beware, know what you are getting for that cheap price.

For instance you mentioned Circuit city closed, if you bought from them and they were authorized, alpine would honor the warranty.
      Yeah, I see your point. I never bought alpine from them and what I did get was covered by their warranty (either through manufacturer, Sony and Infinity, or sonicelectronix, inc) plus I got an offer from them on 3 year squaretrade warranty for head unit and speakers. Viper in the original post is looking for some MB quarts and they do have those.