•  

Thread: I'm going insane...

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

I'm going insane...

K, question for you audiophiles... I drive a panel truck (step van) for work. It has no leads for a radio and I want to hook one up.

The idea is to get a headunit, hook up some quick disconnects to the power wires of the head unit, and just jam them into the fuse box until I find power... with a fuse on the headunit, I don't think I'll fry it...

Should also be noted that the fusebox cover has been long lost, along with it the diagram labeling each fuse port. As far as looking up the diagram, I have no idea where to start, there are 2 manufacturers... chevy made the chassis, grumman olson built the rest... so no idea where the fusebox came from.

Maybe multimeter could fit into the fuse ports... instead of guessing with the headunit...

Comments, concerns, better ideas?

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Still love my daily driver aveosummit's Avatar
      Thanks
      What year is the vehicle?
      Check this out, ways to identify what wires are what for installing a radio..
      http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=74637&PN=1

I know that the vehicle did not have one, but this give you a general idea of where to start.
      Aveosummit aka "C3Customs"

C3 Testimonials

Bravox Audio - Arc Audio - Stetsom - DLS - GermanMAESTRO - Clarion
      Your Sound is our Quality

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      you could do something really simple.

1. From 12V constant(Usually RED(positive)) from ignition harness, tap in there for power with a fuse (type recommended by headunit)

2. Then on one of the accessory wires (for chevy is usually ORANGE(positive)), put a relay for the blue/white wire (the one that tells the radio to turn on). From there all you need to do is ground and speakers.

Perhaps Aveosummit could tell me if the blue/white wire needs a ground or a positive signal so we can figure out how to connect the relay. I got this idea because I can install remote starters, never done any headunits.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      You don't need to hook up the blue wire, that would go to your amp as the remote turn on.

Yellow = Constant (fused to battery)
      Red = Accessory (find a wire that turns on with the key in accessory)
      Black = Ground
      Speakers = speakers

Is there even a place to mount a stereo??

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by subachad
      You don't need to hook up the blue wire, that would go to your amp as the remote turn on.

Yellow = Constant (fused to battery)
      Red = Accessory (find a wire that turns on with the key in accessory)
      Black = Ground
      Speakers = speakers

Is there even a place to mount a stereo??
      subachad is correct,personally i would run a wire with a inline fuse to the battery for the yellow wire (constant 12v), then if you buy a fusable link (i think thats the name), it is a little thing that plugs into the fuse box and has places for 2 fuses, then it has a wire coming out of it, this wire is going to the red wire of the radio, if your not running anything crazy then you will be fine going with just 10 amp fuses. the place were you want to tap into in the fuse box will e labeld IGN3 most of the time in the top left portian of the fuse box.

then just runn you speak wires and your good to go. what year is the truck? let me know if you need any info, i have been driving chevy trucks for years, just finished a stereo install in my new silverado.
      hope this helps

Thanks
      1997 grumman olson panel truck... not the kind of truck you're thinking of

fantastic information, thanks guys. Really don't need to get complicated here... will try the ignition harness thing with some taps from radio shack and see what happens... idea is to do this as cheaply and easily as possible, since I don't personally own the truck.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.