•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fiberglass box for 07 sedan

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

fiberglass box for 07 sedan

It is far from finished and it is by no means suppose to be loud, it's meant to be compact.

so far I have finished the base, it will be finished with wood(top, front, side against backseat) once I lay a few more layers. Here is what I have so far:

base was foil pieces taped together to protect my interior

I then lined the rest of the trunk with plastic (just in case) and put a layer of vaseline where I was laying the fiberglass

and, the finished mold (the vaseline worked great, mold came out with ease)

I still need to take a shot of the mold out of the car, and add a few more layers. The box will be an enclosure for my amp (the narrow area by the back seat) and the larger area will be for my 8" sub. I'm not looking for anything loud so don't knock me, I know it isn't going to be anything special bass wise but it'll be enough for me. I have a 200W audiobahn amp and it will be going to an 8" Punch p1(decent woofer, for the price, plus it uses virtually no airspace.)

My amp, Audiobahn A2002T:
      http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...hn+A2002T.html

My sub, Rockford Fosgate P18S4:
      http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...5&locale=en_US

a lot of where you see the fiberglass is layed will be trimmed down, the box is only going to be maybe 10-12" tall at most when finished.

This is in no way going to be finished in a week or even 2 weeks, it is low on my priorities and don't be surprised if you don't see the finished product for a month, or possibly longer. I just thought maybe some of you would be interested in following my very slow progress. My advice though, if you ever do fiberglass, put down something under the foil in case you get a leak somewhere, too much prep is better than not enough. I didn't bother only because this is a work car, and if a little leaked onto the carpet I could've cared less, I did get lucky though, not a single bit of anything made it to my carpet.

So far I have added

JVX XG700 double din head unit:
      http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=148&page=1

some Clarion SRR1616 6.5" rears:
      http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...643389176.html

Polk Audio GXR4 4" fronts:
      http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/gxr4/

SIR-JVC1 Sirius Satellite tuner:
      http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1107450540311

The Polk fronts are really nice, next time I'm looking for speakers I'll definitely look into possibly doing Polks all around for mids/highs. They are really nice(my first time buying Polks). My Clarions in the rear aren't bad or anything, but unfortunately there is definitely a noticeable difference in the quality between them and the Polks. I always thought Clarions were pretty good, oh well though. If I were you I'd definitely look into finding something other than what I got for the rears. I maybe bought the most inexpensive Clarions though, and their higher end ones are better? All I know for sure though is I fell in love with Polk Audio.

I'll try to get a pic of the finished mold up soon and I'll take more progress shots as they happen

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      looks good so far...
      If i ever decide to change my system up a bit, i was planning on doing this.

Great job!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      here's the finished mold(obviously it needs some more layers but it's a start)

Thanks
      yeah definitly more layers... i think you need about a MINIMUM of 10 layers of fiberglass mat for a sub box.

looking good keep the updates coming

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      with it just being a single 8" I will be adding another 4 or so layers, maybe 5

Thanks
      or be more safe than sorry. But just go by your judgement.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      To settle the layers debate, it's not the number of layers but the overall thickness that matters. Car Audio Magazine recommends a 1/4" thickness because it gives the equivalent strength of 3/4" MDF.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      not really a debate, what it really comes down to is how much fiberglass I have, I have enough for around 4 layers before I run out and regardless of how thick it is that's where i'm stopping luckily 1/4" is a good thickness though because that's right about how thick I assume it'll be. Basically I haven't put a lot of thought into this box because I am only doing it to save room and give me a little something extra bass-wise. If I were doing like a dual 10" or 12" setup and going to make a crazy box that had to withstand all the pressure, and really had to look good then I'd put more into it and make sure it was perfect. this here though is going to be a single 8" and it will be ported too so the fiberglass won't get stressed much. I'm happy with how the box is turning out though even with very little thought into it I think it's going to be a sweet looking box for the next 2-3 years I drive the car, and maybe I'll be able to charge $100 extra for the car when I sell it. sub cost me $20, amp was $30(amp and sub were on clearance) and I have around $50-60 into the box materials. This is being made with 100% budget on mind, not competition quality

Thanks
      any updates?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      yah, sorry I haven't updated, I really haven't been working on it much. I got the front on but I still haven't added the layers of glass. I will be doing that sometime this weekend hopefully and all that should be left after that is cutting the holes for the port/sub, then doing a fiberglass top, doing wood is going to be too hard I think.

that curved area where there is a gap next to the wood will just be glassed, I want to keep that curve in there so there won't be a gap between the box and trunk.

those pics are actually a little out of date too, I only had the wood on there for a few minutes when I snapped the shots. I re-mounted it with lots of liquid nail to make the corners a little smoother and make sure it has a good seal. I wasn't shy with that liquid nail.. if I remember to snap a shot before finishing the glass I'll be sure to post it, it's definitely going to hold a seal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast