•  

Thread: Factory Stereo - options?

jdw
      What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Factory Stereo - options?

2005 hatchback here. I had my dash apart last night to check fitment of some gauges and saw some interesting features of the factory stereo. The label on the top referenced a factory CD changer plug and steering wheel controls. Has anyone looked into these items? I did some google/ebay searches for a CD changer but came up with nothing. It would be awesome to have a changer full of MP3 CDs. Steering wheel controls? Awesome.

Also, has anyone switched the position of the stereo and storage pocket? I'm thinking that may be a way to get more clearance when installing 2" gauges in the space between the stereo and center vents.

2005 Yellow Hatchback - 2" voltmeter added to console

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: Factory Stereo - options?

i haven't heard about the cd changer, but back on 04 they were all the rage, not its ipods and mp3's..

the steering wheel controls require a different clock spring from what i have learned with people trying to put the cruise switch in the steering wheel location. but i guess if you did that, it should be doable.

as far as fitting the stereo, if you can make bracketry to hold it, and its face fits in the hole, and the backside of the radio dont hit anything, i don't see why not.

jdw
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      i haven't heard about the cd changer, but back on 04 they were all the rage, not its ipods and mp3's..

the steering wheel controls require a different clock spring from what i have learned with people trying to put the cruise switch in the steering wheel location. but i guess if you did that, it should be doable.

as far as fitting the stereo, if you can make bracketry to hold it, and its face fits in the hole, and the backside of the radio dont hit anything, i don't see why not.
      Thanks, Rabbit. The screw holes looked close when I had the stereo out last night. I'll give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Steering wheel stereo controls is a 1LT and 2LT option if you choos it. The CD changer input is for an aftermarket one should you decide you want one. As far as I know the aveo options do not offer a changer. I had one from Alpine that was fantastic.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

CD changer? Huh? how about a cassette player? maybe an 8 track too... won't be long and car stereos won't even have a cd option, just ipod and usb. I think the steering wheel controls would be expensive to replace the clock spring etc., maybe keep an eye out in the junk yards for an LT that had that option and remove the whole thing. or buy a HU that has a remote control and use that...much cheaper.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

i still see cassette players in newer cars, who the hell...

jdw
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      CD changer? Huh? how about a cassette player? maybe an 8 track too... won't be long and car stereos won't even have a cd option, just ipod and usb. I think the steering wheel controls would be expensive to replace the clock spring etc., maybe keep an eye out in the junk yards for an LT that had that option and remove the whole thing. or buy a HU that has a remote control and use that...much cheaper.
      I have six-disc in-dash cd changers in both of my other cars. They support mp3's, so I have a 900-song capacity with that technology. If I could add in a box to the Aveo and get the same functionality, I would be very happy.

I had another thought on that DIN plug. If I could figure out how the signaling worked, I could hook a 1/8" jack to the inputs and plug my MP3 player into it directly. When I choose the CD changer, it would play the MP3 player through the stereo.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

You can do that. I think it's just a set of RCA inputs isn't it? If so there's a cable you can use with either an iPod or a USB flashdrive. My old kenwood was like that.
      Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo
      i still see cassette players in newer cars, who the hell...
      Probably because they have a warehouse full of them and need to get rid of them somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by jdw
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      I have six-disc in-dash cd changers in both of my other cars. They support mp3's, so I have a 900-song capacity with that technology. If I could add in a box to the Aveo and get the same functionality, I would be very happy.

I had another thought on that DIN plug. If I could figure out how the signaling worked, I could hook a 1/8" jack to the inputs and plug my MP3 player into it directly. When I choose the CD changer, it would play the MP3 player through the stereo.
      Thats great. All I am saying is that CD changers are dinosaurs. They have moving parts, that means they fail. Also 700 meg on a CD is nothing, you can get a 16 gig flash drive for around 20 bucks on sale. Store way more songs on a tiny drive, no space for a "changer", no moving parts, totally upgradable, blah blah blah. Not trying to bust balls, just can't see wasting time when the technology has already changed.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

lol true, but it really doesnt matter with me. When I get a new car, the stock radio is out when I get home I wonder if people still uses cassette tapes???