•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Headliner for 05 sedan??

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I bet man, It really looks great for a 20 dollar project! Where, may i ask did you get the fabric for this? And also the spray fabric glue? Really considering doing this project once i have a bit of time on my hands (and whenever it decides to quit snowing and warm up!) :P

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i recommend 3m super 90 spray glue, and a trip to jo-ann fabrics.. ive done a few of these too.. on older cars.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      any fabric will do, i recommend staying away from the lighter feeling fabrics because it will be harder to work with and they may soak up too much glue and look bad..

i went down to my local joann fabric and asked the lady for "orange suede" in stores you can buy it by the yard i think i got 2 or 3 yards, just remember you have to cover the whole thing in one piece and theres no going back when you spray that glue on it looks really bad and will totally screw up the old "fabric" under it so make a plan before spraying it then i asked for "fabric spray glue"

it took me about 2 hours total from taking out the headliner to putting it back in, most of that time was spent waiting for it to dry

Thanks
      Hmm Alright then, well Ive never heard of a Jo ann fabric before, but... we have a Wal-Mart Fabric section? :P

And so how hard was it taking the headliner out? Whats the process of that?

Thanks
      take off the drivers front "sunglasses holder" that no one uses, take off the other 3 "oh ****" handles take the plastic out of the done light and remove the bulb and theres a screw or two up in that remove those as well, remove the sun visors and holding clips and then remove the 3(or 4) plastic snaps in the far back near the windshield and theres 2 in the center of the headliner too remove those and then finalls on all 4 corners of the interior and the two side pillars just pop the tops of the plastic trim out and whalaa thats all you should need to do... pretty simple.. takes about 4-5minutes to prep for take out then lay your seats down open the back door and get ready to wrestle this thing out.. it will take some fight just dont bend it toooo much, the sides can bend pretty well but try not to destroy the integrity of the headliner... it should come right out after a bit and go lay it down someplace flat and start planning the attack

Thanks
      Haha Hey! I actually do use the sunglasses holder! :P Lmao!

But all in all, It doesnt seem like its going to be that difficult

Definitely going to do this modification sometime in the very near future!

What I'm thinking about (because I like to challenge myself and be unique) Is trying to get like a black... Then trying to create a precise Chevrolet emblem to go on it also. Or maybe put tiny emblems behind the "Oh S***! handles"... Im not sure, But just a little idea.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      while you have the headliner out, you could run wires for led lighting behind the oh **** handles, and position them to be puddle lights when the door is open..

Thanks
      to do that i would sew it on before applying it OR just glue it on what its all done

Thanks
      That is a very good idea, seeing as its such a dull dome light and it only lights up the front console really... Ive been contemplating putting led's in the dome light for quite some time and possibly mounting others as well, but that is a way more creative and unique idea and I may just consider it also... So now my plan is going to be just that. Led Lighting behind the handles, Big Chevrolet emblem in the middle

Im thinking going about putting in two separate pieces, one for the chevy emblem, and then the big ol piece for the black background with the holes for the led lights behind the handles. And for an outline between the emblem and the black, i could maybe buy some of that chrome trim to stick up there as well to really make it "pop" :P

Thanks
      I actually took out my dome light bulb and I have LED strips all through my car may not be the best lighting but it helps set the mood

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast