•  

Thread: What Removes The Film On HeadLights.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

What Removes The Film On HeadLights.

I should have flat out asked this before. I have used one of the headlight cleaning kits, 'Blue Coral Headlight Film Removal' kit. Well it has removed like 70% of the film, but it comes back fast, and now it doesnt remove more, it is making the car look like so old! If the headlights didnt cost so much, I would replace them, and you cant just replace the case. After replacing that starter, I cant replace the lights for a long time! So...has anyone else used something else that has worked better for you? This stuff worked ok the first time, but now it does not work. They are both getting cloudy, and it wont come off. So...whats everyone else using? That works.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      A complete kit with sandpaper and buffing compounds would work in your case. After the polishing process, it's a good idea to shoot the headlights with a clear coat to prevent oxidation. Here is an example I just found by searching google:

Headlight Restoration Kit: From 3M, Bluemagic & Meguiar Headlight Accessories | Canadian Tire
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      The blue coral stuff works well if you put a good coat of wax on them right away. Also, try using it with a green scotch-brite pad, then use it on a rag. There are a lot of options.

Best off is new lights and keep them cleaned and a good coat of protectant wax.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog View Post
      ... After the polishing process, it's a good idea to shoot the headlights with a clear coat to prevent oxidation.
      Yes, something that lasts longer than 3 to 8 weeks would be nice. Has anyone tried the PPF (paint protection film) headlight kits? The Aveo ones from Xpel are pricey (~$70US), but have heard there may be pre-cut and DIY alternatives for much, much less.

I started using 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the plastic bits on our auto exteriors after it was recommended by our convertible top manufacturer. The results have been good, but better on the colored parts than the clear - though this might be different if reapplied at the 3 to 5 week interval supposedly needed to maintain "SPF 40" level UV protection. Having to do this 10 or 15 times a year is the main disadvantage of this and similar products, my interval is probably more like 3 to 6 times a year.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by rodo View Post
      Yes, something that lasts longer than 3 to 8 weeks would be nice. Has anyone tried the PPF (paint protection film) headlight kits? The Aveo ones from Xpel are pricey (~$70US), but have heard there may be pre-cut and DIY alternatives for much, much less.

I started using 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the plastic bits on our auto exteriors after it was recommended by our convertible top manufacturer. The results have been good, but better on the colored parts than the clear - though this might be different if reapplied at the 3 to 5 week interval supposedly needed to maintain "SPF 40" level UV protection. Having to do this 10 or 15 times a year is the main disadvantage of this and similar products, my interval is probably more like 3 to 6 times a year.
      I used that '303 protectant' on my Tonneau covers on all my Ranger Trucks all the time, but not on hard clear plastic. I would think it would cloud it up. I always wax the headlights. Thought that was stopping the lights from turning yellow, and it did for 4 years. Then it started. I use the Blue Coral because it didnt have that green scrubbing pad. That pad wont ruin the clearness of the plastic? 80% of it is clear, it is the edges that are looking bad now and wont come clean,and it is creeping into the center very fast. I use a very expensive wax//sealer from Collanite, and it works great on the car, the sun here in Fla. is SO hot and it kills the paint. But my car looks showroom new. The clearcoat is in perfect condition and it is outside all day/night. So that green pad wont ruin the plastic? If new headlights didnt cost so much, I would replace them. but you cant just buy the shell,as you know. and at over $100 a piece, they are out of reach for the foreseeable future.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i would think for the price of the kits, you could buy used ones on ebay from up north where this is less of a problem.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      I used that '303 protectant' on my Tonneau covers on all my Ranger Trucks all the time, but not on hard clear plastic. I would think it would cloud it up.
      I've not had or heard of a clouding problem with 303. Their ap note for clear materials says to not let it dry to a haze, but immediately buff it in... will need to give this a try as this is not how I've been applying it to the head lights.

Thanks
      The headlights are still close to or just over $100 each on EBay....not including shipping on top of it.
      Not saving a lot of money 'used'. I might as well buy new ones,...and once I have money stored up after the starter replacement wiped me out!
      Last edited by FlaAveo5; 09-16-2011 at 03:45 AM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by YnotVW View Post
      The blue coral stuff works well if you put a good coat of wax on them right away. Also, try using it with a green scotch-brite pad, then use it on a rag. There are a lot of options.

Best off is new lights and keep them cleaned and a good coat of protectant wax.
      I second that. The first few years of owning my car I didn't do such a good job of taking car of my head lights. After getting ripped off by the Lube shops that do it for you, I figured out how to do it my self. Yes a coat of UV protectant wax is best. After waxing, the headlights haven't needed cleaning in a few months.